THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorting 45 ACP brass - How critical is it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am fairly new to pistol reloading. Just exactly how critical is it to sort brass by brand for the 45 ACP? I have read that in the smaller cases like 9mm, it becomes a issue. I am not in competition shooting. Just wondering from a operation/accuracy standpoint. So far I have not had any problems with either of my 1911 clones with various makes of brass and have even shot a few through a Glock with no problems ie. bulged cases, etc.

I am not near my reloading data but I believe I have been using 6 gr. of Unique with 230 hardballs of various sorts and even some cast leads. No problems yet.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I don't sort my 45acp brass, but the load I use is somewhere in the middle of the road between start and stop. I seem to have no problem hitting the bowling pins if I do my part.

P.S. I do weed out the ones with the small primer holes, like the Win NT brass.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it very important to sort brass to make sure there is no 9mm or 40 casings inside my 45 brass.

I am do not sort my pistol brass by make at all unless Iam loading max huntig loads.

I find non sorted brass reloads are plenty accurate.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As P dog I make sure I only have ACP brass but don't sort by brand. I treat my 9mm the same way and have never had an issue. I've never had an issue of either shooting as accurate as I'm able.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I'm another no sort my loads all shoot better then I can hold and the cans pins and paper don't mind.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have about 2000 pieces of 45 acp brass a buddy gave me. It was once fired from a local PD range, every head stamp known to man different size flash holes you name it I got it. I am shooting a Colt 80 on it's second barrel, brass is still going. Accuracy is as good as a hand gun will get without a ransom rest. Keep an eye on that brass you run in your Glock if you are running a factory barrel. I shoot all cast 230gr round ball over 3.9 grains of Bullseye. If you shoot as much as I do it may pay you to look into casting your own.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Neck Tension- Bullet Set Back- If running a maximum loading, mixed headstamp can become a problem. On a progress press, you dont feel the neck tension as you seat a bullet.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep your eye on brass from Glocks. Yeah, let's see, didn't the astronauts find those Glocks on the moon and bring them back to Earth. NOT The reason Glock gets picked on so much is in the same category as why Microsoft gets picked on.

I've been shooting a 45 Glock for years. With cast bullets too! Guess what? No lead build up, no blown up pistol and the damn thing shoots damn near as good as my tuned Gold Cups. The brass by the way is no different then brass out of any of my other dozens of 45 acp firearms except the firing pin indentation is different.

I like to sort my brass because I feel the lot of them are more uniform then if you have mixed brands. After all they all aren't made 100 percent exactly the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullseye guys did a test some years ago with their very accurate and picky guns and couldn't tell the difference between virgin new brass and mixed range pickups. These days you do need to sort range pickups to take out the small primer brass or it will jamb up the machine. Otherwise go ahead

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I think the bull's eye shooter are pickier than their guns. Oh wait, I shoot bull's eye. Most of them are pickier than their guns. I sort to make sure their isn't a nine stuck in them or I didn't pick up a crimped primer. They get set aside until I make a new batch. As long as you don't have a max load you should be okay.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since, as mentioned before, the primer pockets are different sizes with some of the brands, I sort them all by hand, if I am using range pickup.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think its important = i alwaays seperate out the berdan from the boxer Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote