Find
Notify
Tools

SR-4756 or WSF for .40 S&W?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted
How do they compare as far as muzzle flash in defense type loads? I have other powders that I use for this application and if I could get it locally, I'd probably use Ramshot Silhouette which is the same powder as what was previously sold by Winchester as WAP. V-V 3N37 works very well, but same problem: can't get it locally and the price seems to continually go up. Looking to replace the 3N37 with WSF or 4756. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WSF is a fine powder for the 40 S&W. It is close to magic with 135 gr Nosler bullets.

In a very well built custom 1911-based comp gun with a ramped barrel I have gotten 1500+ fps with it. I do NOT recommend that sort of thing for a stock gun or a novice loader!

Normal loads work well in bullet weights up to about 180.

As a side benefit, WSF makes a great powder for loading 9mm practice ammo ... 125 gr cast bullets.

Have not used the other powder.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
mstarling: does it burn clean? What is muzzle flash like? IMR SR4756 is a very clean burning powder. Performance wise, they're close enough for that to be a non issue. As far as cast loads and such, I have that pretty well covered. I'm using four different powders currently and the best accuracy is coming with Ramshot True Blue which I have to order online and pay brown's haz-mat fee, just like V-V 3N37.

Bullet weights will run from 150 gr. JHPs to 165 gr. Golden Sabers. Flash and cleanliness are the two considerations I'm most concerned with. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
WSF is very clean burning. Less flash than 3N37 in 40 S&W.

The only place I've used 4756 has been in loads for 2" 38 Spl. In that application it has considerable flash.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AA #5 is my choice for the SW40. It was originally an IMI powder and had a flash retardant in it. Don't know about the stuff they are using today. #5 was a good powder for loads in my SW40. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudude,

I agree that #5 is a good powder for 40 S&W.

Have used a lot of #5, 3N37, WSF, and Trap 100.

For light weight, very high velocity stuff WSF can't be beat! For the light and middle weights (135-165) WSF works best for me. For the standard weights either 3N37 or #5 is great. For heavies (220) the goodie is Trap 100.

WSF works better in 125 gr alloy conical or RN 9mm than the others. I've shot a wheelbarrow or two full of them in an M16 subgun.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
kudude: AA#5 is the first powder I used in .40 when I started loading it right after it came out. It is a very low flash powder. The nitroglycerin content is fairly high so more than likely, it is still treated with a retardent.

mstarling: WSF got a good reputation for accuracy early on, but somehow I never got around to trying it. I bought a CZ 75 B in .40 S&W a couple of weeks ago and it is very accurate. I hadn't been shooting forty for about 4 or 5 years previous to this. It has me excited about shooting .40 again. If flash is low in .40 S&W, that will work. Thanks guys! Wink

If you guys can get True Blue, it is worth trying. Accuracy is great and it gives very low standard deviations. As far as cleanliness, it could be better, probably a bit cleaner than #5, but neither are dirty enough to bother me anyway.