Find
Notify
Tools

Headstamp Experts... Old 30-06 Case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
Found an old 30-06 case high in the mountains while hiking about late this spring.

Headstamp reads:

RA
@
H 18

Is "RA" Remington Arms? I used the @ key to designate the primer (silver color) location.

Coincidentally, I found a nice fossilized leaf right near the case! Two good finds, though no bears...

Thanks,

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad RA should be Remington arms, but check very closely and see if it might be FA which would be Frankford Arsenal. The F and A are usually at the 10:30 and 1:30 position when the year is at the 6:00 position. If the RA are at the 12:00 position then it should be Remington Arms. However I am not an expert in Headstamps

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found an old 30-06 case
Headstamp reads:

RA
@
H 18

RA is Remington Arms; H means it was made at their HOBOKEN (NJ) plant; 18 means it was made in 1918.

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Thanks! 1918... hmmm, that's old!

I wonder if this was military "ball" ammo, or could it have been an expanding bullet?.? Because of where I found this case, I assume it was from a shot at a game animal.

Any idea's on the bullet weight/style?

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely standard ball that some one used to shoot a deer with. Deer can be kill readly with fmj. I lot of old timers used nothing but mil surplus because that is what they had.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, and a lot of old timers used to cut off the tip of the bullet in an attempt to create their own soft point bullet...and probably still do.
(No, I don't recommend the practice, but it's done.)

I'd say this case was indeed quite a find due to its age. I never saw many 1918 headstamps 40 years ago!

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote