New
Find
Notify
Tools

FEDEX scam
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This may not be news to some, but it was to me and recently and it pissed me off a LOT!!! Apparently Fedex is subcontracting some of their deliveries to USPS--for the uninformed--that is the new name of the post office when you select shippers for an online order.

Recently, I ordered two items--one was not firearm related but it WAS fedex. USPS and UPS were options for shipping and the UPS was the same price as FEDEX but---------------------------USPS was CHEAPER---but took a lot longer.

I was amazed when the FEDEX shipment #1 took 2 days longer to arrive here (WA state) than ever before and it came via my rural route postal carrier, who informed me that this was nothing new........................fast forward to the latest shipping outrage from FEDEX--watching the tracking information I see that my order from a supplier of ultrasonic gun cleaning solvent has been pushed back SEVERAL days and given to USPS. I paid for FEDEX service-- I had the option of paying less for USPS "service" but opted for the more expensive FEDEX "service" what I got was USPS "service."

Until and unless this practice is stopped I am informing any retailer with whom I deal online that I will not complete any order that leaves me no option but FEDEX. I urge you to do the same.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
+1, Had the very same thing happen when i ordered new chain and sprockets for my quad. Pissed me off!

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This happens with Fedex here in rural Laurel, MT all the time. Post office clerk told me that they contract with Fedex for doing this service. Has been going on for years now. I specifically request UPS on all orders now. At least they call and attempt delivery. You can meet them and they are there with your package. Fedex just shuffles it off the the USPS.
Semper Fi

Posts: 29 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USPS is using UPS (for incoming), at least a truck a day at our little PO.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
With the level of service we get in my area from UPS--- the shipper will remain anyone else! I think we are all subject to the fact that nobody offers great service everywhere and we are all lucky just to get the items on time and undamaged.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
UPS has been contracting FedEx to carry some of their freight according to a local UPS feeder truck driver. He said it kept UPS from having to hire temps for the Christmas season.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not voluntarily use UPS or FEDEX, ever.

I've been very happy with the USPS, so far at least. I know that some things are better left to the other shippers but I hate doing it.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPS Basic and Fedex SmartPost are both shipped by their respective carriers to the USPS delivery office for final delivery by USPS mail carriers, they're the least expensive for the shipper and slowest service being ground service only. What pisses me off is I have a PO Box and no street delivery by USPS, most shippers(online retailers) won't ship Basic or SmartPost to the PO box and only accept a street address when placing orders. thumbdown

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well as many of you know my Wife works for USPS and my close friend for UPS , An it you didn't you do now !.

This has been going on for YEARS and isn't new . The only company I've ever had problems with is Fed Ex .

Merchants are well powerless concerning shipping . Meaning shipping is done for $$$'s and the less of those

the better . Contracts within contracts sometimes aren't even known by the Merchants themselves .

They contract with company A B or C what happens after that parcel leaves their warehouse is BEYOND

their control . Like my Buddy said one day when I was bitching about shipping cost , well I guess I'll see

you in ; What about 7 days ? . That's about right for your trip too Florida and back from Kommyfornia Eh !.

He laughed slapped me on my back and said let me know what the Fuel runs you OK ? !.

Point is What can you do about it ?, it's like primers bullets cases and nearly ANYTHING else these days

!. You either pay to play or set it out and watch !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I do not voluntarily use UPS or FEDEX, ever.

I've been very happy with the USPS, so far at least. I know that some things are better left to the other shippers but I hate doing it.
Regards, Joe

Totally agree. Try to get Fedex or UPS to ship a box of lead weighing up to 70 pounds anywhere in the country for under $11. Or ask them to mail a letter to any state for $.44.

UPS and Fedex are nothing but total rip offs. Especially if you have to file an insurance claim.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it but the freight forwarders have been doing that for forever. FedEx got it's start in Memphis with a couple of little airplanes. They would accept frgt for any destination and would then forward it on whichever commercial airlines got there the quickest.
I can't remember which forwarder it was but on a shipment to me, they shipped to their closest point and then mailed it the rest of the way.
You need to find out which forwarder has service into your city and specify them when you order.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
If this keeps the rates down and service running so be it.

If brown goes to some rural route twice a week and Fedex gets one delivery a month or vice a versa don't you think it would be cost effective to use each other or USPS who goes 6 days a week homer

Get over it. I have reltives in europe shipping a package from one end of the country to the other takes forever I still think they use pony express.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Let's not get it bass-akwards, eh?

USPS actually contracts with FedEx to carry USPS packages nation-wide in the U.S. So, the reason you get as prompt USPS shipment from other parts of the country as you do (or don't) is because the stuff FLIES on FedEx planes.

After arrival at the delivery-end airport, it is taken to the post office, and then handled by USPS for actual delivery to your home or post office box.

USPS has used contracted air delivery services since the late 1920s!! Half the barnstormers of those days probably were mail delivery contract holders at one time or another in their careers.

It is a very simple contract...and, incidentally is a contract which was once held by UPS, Flying Tiger, and many other shipping companies.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this was all news to me. Apparently it had not been happening here as long as I have been tracking packages online these last several years.

The thing that gripes me is that I paid $$$ for fast fedex delivery and got slow usps delivery. Some places I order from give me a choice; I know which I will choose from now on.

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Let's not get it bass-akwards, eh?

USPS actually contracts with FedEx to carry USPS packages nation-wide in the U.S. So, the reason you get as prompt USPS shipment from other parts of the country as you do (or don't) is because the stuff FLIES on FedEx planes.

After arrival at the delivery-end airport, it is taken to the post office, and then handled by USPS for actual delivery to your home or post office box.

USPS has used contracted air delivery services since the late 1920s!! Half the barnstormers of those days probably were mail delivery contract holders at one time or another in their careers.

It is a very simple contract...and, incidentally is a contract which was once held by UPS, Flying Tiger, and many other shipping companies.

Just think how many more billion the USPS would be in the red if they had there own planes and long line trucks shocker

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amamnn, what did FedEx say when you called them up and beefed about the slow service??

FYI, most of the "original" airlines, United, American, Pan Am, etc, started out as mail contract carriers and would haul passengers only if there was room after they loaded their mail.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Its called subcontracting...happens all the time.

Most of the quoted delivery dates carry the caveat "typical delivery time"

Unless you specifically paid for FED EX over night or Fed Ex 2 day you really don't have a complaint.

I really would not call it a scam and its not as if Fed Ex made a ton of extra money by subcontracting to USPS.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fedex has not replied as yet.
What the post immediately above this one has to do with anything other than the poster trying to represent him/herself as knowledgeable (and failing miserably)I can't tell.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
It has to do with suppliers or service providers (in this case being Fed Ex) have the right to subcontract unless contractually prohibited.

It has to do with unless you specifically paid for a certain type of delivery time such as overnight or 2 day, then there wasn't an obligation on Fed Ex to get you the delivery at any specific time.

It has to do with nowhere in your post do you say what Fed Ex Service you paid for. You state you paid for "fast Fed Ex". Was that overnight? Was that 2 day?

If you simply selected Fed Ex because the website showed a shorter delivery time as opposed to picking a specific type of delivery service which guaranteed a delivery interval, then you simply chose to pay for a "brand name" without any specific delivery date or interval specified.

It has to do with the use of the word "scam", which implies you think you got cheated.

If you didn't sign up for a specific type of delivery service from Fed Ex such as overnight or 2 day or unless you happened to sign a agreement with your retailer or Fed Ex that said they may not subcontract for delivery to you which I highly doubt you did then you may feel you got "scammed" but Fed Ex was completely within their rights to subcontract.

But other than the above, it has nothing to do with your post and having negotiated about 300 commercial contracts in my life including contracts with Fed Ex and UPS, I actually just might know something about this subject.

So did you specify:

A) Fed Ex ground
B) Fed Ex Overnight?
C) Fed Ex 2 day
D) Fed Ex with no other parameter

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think his post was very informative. Maybe it will help some folks understand what the real world of parcel delivery is all about.
Maybe keep some of them from coming in here to condemn a company or service with no knowledge and an example of one.
I think cyberspace is a wonderful tool to help keep vendors and companies honest through our exchange of information. But there is also a responsibility that goes with accusing a company with malfeasance.
Peace and love, Brother. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the service you got:

quote:
FedEx SmartPost: Consolidates parcels from merchants such as e-commerce and catalog companies and uses the United States Postal Service for the final delivery. Formerly the independent company Parcel Direct until FedEx acquired them for $120M in 2004.

Google Fedex and see just how many sub-divisions or operating units they have.

FYI, Fedex Home makes deliveries Tues through Saturday...so if you're tracking your package and see it as at your local depot and ready for delivery, don't waste your whole Monday, like I once did, waiting for a package that needed an adult signature.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ALWAYS! ship USPS Priority Mail. Federal Regs (IIRC) require the commercial outfits to charge more. I have NEVER had a Priority Mail package take more than three days in the continental US.

I just got my Chapuis 9,3 double from Nashville (to Boise) in three days via Priority Mail.

I always ask a seller if he would mind shipping Priority USPS. Never had one balk when I point out that UPS or Fedex will charge at least twice as much and dick with you to boot.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fedex sucks around here. They can never find my house, drivers cant speak english or are idiots, they wont leave package like UPS and always want someone present to sign for it or they keep it and wont deliver it. Then you have to call them and take 2 or 3 days off work to be home when they decide to show up so you can sign for it. Fug that!

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I ALWAYS! ship USPS Priority Mail. Federal Regs (IIRC) require the commercial outfits to charge more. I have NEVER had a Priority Mail package take more than three days in the continental US.

I just got my Chapuis 9,3 double from Nashville (to Boise) in three days via Priority Mail.

I always ask a seller if he would mind shipping Priority USPS. Never had one balk when I point out that UPS or Fedex will charge at least twice as much and dick with you to boot.

Rich

I once had a lady usps priority me a check on a monday for a pupyy for her daughters birthday on friday.Check didnt get here for 10 days.It was from NY to MN.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, when I lived back in the sticks in WV, I did a lot of shopping/buying via the computer and I consistantly got better service using USPS and UPS than I did with the others.
One time when the creek was up and you couldn't get to my house, the UPS driver called me and when I told him I really needed the package, he met me at a narrow spot in the creek and threw the package over to me. Now that's what you call service. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole