Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Rem for DPMS 24" 1:8 twist
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M.Fox Jancik
posted
Hi, I bought upper DPMS 24" 1:8 twist in .223 Rem, I have heard that Hornady 75grs BTHP might be the right choice. The problem with reloading I have is aviablity of powders in my country, here is most common Accurate and Vectan, I use AA2460 in my loads for my 16" heavy barel AR15. Any suggestions?

Posts: 64 | Location: Zlin, Moravia, Czech Republic, Europe | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those DPMS uppers and using Hornady 75s with 23.0 - H335 gives 2700fps.

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M.Fox Jancik
posted Hide Post
How it is with accuracy gained whith this combination?

Posts: 64 | Location: Zlin, Moravia, Czech Republic, Europe | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M.Fox Jancik
posted Hide Post
That Hornady 75grs seems not working with Varget and a little with AA2460, as I have heard from friends, that bullet does not work very well...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, according to the AR15 hand book.

"Krieger has found 1 to 7.75 to be ideal for 75-80 gr Sierra Match King."

I haven't shot this combination though, I found that using 26.5gr of H335 with 50gr vmax is giving me .5 inch groups (100 yds) with a 1 in 8 twist.

Are you looking at longer range shooting with the higher grain bullet?

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M.Fox Jancik:
Hi, I bought upper DPMS 24" 1:8 twist in .223 Rem, I have heard that Hornady 75grs BTHP might be the right choice. The problem with reloading I have is aviablity of powders in my country, here is most common Accurate and Vectan, I use AA2460 in my loads for my 16" heavy barel AR15. Any suggestions?

There are three loads using 2460 and heavier bullets on the AA web site, in their load manual.

If you can get it, Varget is very good.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget or RL15 should work quite well in the AR with 1/8 twist. Either a 69 or 77 Sierra would be my choice. Mine will go under .5 for 5 shots with RL15 and a 69 Sierra match bullet at 100 yards.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Varget between 23 and MAx for your rifle will shoot.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 24" Shilen, Wylde chamber, SS HBAR contour, 1:8 4 grove twist, on a Bushmaster and it loves 55 FMJ's. I planded on shooting the heavy bullets when I built this one. While working out the bugs after the build I shot Fed "Value Box" 55's. Got .6" 5 shot groups. For punching paper and steel I now reload Win 55 grain FMJ's on top of 24 grains of H335 with Win primers. Clocks at about 2850 fps. Under .5" @ 100. Will shoot <1 MOA at 450 yards with ease.

Bobby

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Posts: 92 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 22 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of the better 64 to 80 gr. bullets should work well with that twist. H335 or N-135 are fav match powders for the AR in those weights. I've had some very good success with N-540 but it seems to be hard to get lately. You might have more success getting Vihtavuori powders there. You're closer to them.....

I like the Berger 73 gr. bullet best in my rifle. You just have to experiment to find the right powder/bullet/brass/primer combo for your weapon. Be sure to seat your primers uniformly. Many people don't seat them all the same or deep enough, and then wonder why they get lousy groups and/or fliers.

My DPMS does not much like the Hornadys.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote