New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explain something to me!
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
I was doing load development with a 22-250, featherweight barrel, 1-14 twist. Using 50gr. V Max bullets for the first time, and H-4895 powder. My 100 yard 5 shot groups(2) were 1 inch and .9 but my 200 yard groups with the same combo were 1.1 and 1.2. My guess is that the bullet is not stabilizing completely till somewhere after 100, if so this is something that I don't understand much about so what should I try to get the bullet to stabilize quicker because I am satisfied with my 200 yard groups if I could just get it down around .5 at 100. Thanks for any advice.

<Bill T>
posted
I've heard of this happening, but have never experienced it. If your getting 1.2" at 200 yards I'd quit while I was ahead and dance in the streets! It really doesn't get too much better than that. A shorter lighter bullet will most likely stabilize quicker, but your groups might open up. I'd stick with what works. 1.2 at 200 works for me. Bill T.

[This message has been edited by Bill T (edited 12-16-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
try a 55 grain flat based bullet. I have had good luck with hornady and remington bullets in .224.(thats gonna bring screams from the folks that lead with their wallets) I have heard the bench rest shooters explain at length about bullets that shoot tighter at 200 and 300 yards than they do at 100 yards but never quite understood it. I want one that shoots tight at 100, 200, 300 etc.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
What kind of optics are on your gun? Sometimes better accuracy is obtained at 200yds due to the parallex in your scope if it is fixed. If you have an AO set it for the range you are shooting. Just a thought. sure-shot

<AKI>
posted
Too few groups to say anything. Sorry. AKI

<Reloader66>
posted
Your 22-250 feather weight shooting a MOA group at 100 yards is considered a good shooting factory rifle. You may do better if you try H-380, IMR4064, N-140 powder. H-380 is a proven performer in the 22-250. H-380 powder got it's number designation because of the 22-250 cartridge. Since your barrel is a feather weight and a very light barrel that will limit your rifles grouping ability. Heavy barrels will always give the best groups. Trigger pull weight also can help your groups. Try different brands of bullets and primers to see if your rifle will show improvement. You can try seating depth changes to improve groups. High power scopes with FC will give better groups. Bullet weights of 50,52,55, should give good results. Floating the barrel and bedding the action can improve groups. Many reloading tricks can also improve your groups.

<heavy varmint>
posted
I have floated the barrel, bedded the action, and adjusted the factory trigger. I may be on the wrong track with this one but I still think that if the rifle shot two groups in a row that were slightly over an inch at 200 it or I should have been around half MOA at 100. Optics as mentioned could be it, maybe it's my scope or I'm getting near or far sighted, not sure witch but I,m going to load up some more and go back to the range, hopefully find my answere there.

<Don G>
posted
This has happened to me with several rifles and bullets. You are correct, the bullet is still nutating.

If you are happy with an inch at 200 yards why are you unhappy with an inch at 100? You will still hit the same sized critter in the same spot!

If you are hunting paper I could understand, but most varmint competition is at 300 yards around here. ???

I predict you will not "fix"it without changing bullets or barrel. You might try a new crown or flat based bullets.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
AKI has it right... too few groups to draw a conclusion. A true MOA rifle will routinely print 5 shot groups between .5" and 1.5". In fact, 5% of groups will fall beyond even these limits.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote