Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Seating Question
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to rifle reloading and I tried to reload some 7mm008 today. I am using a Dillon 550. When I set up the RCBS dies the resizing and de-priming went smoothly, however when I tried to seat a new primer it would only seat approximately a 1/3 of the way in. I am using once fired factory Winchester and Federal brass that I shot. The primers are Remington Large Rifle. I have cleaned all of the primer pockets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
syd34

Are you pushing the press arm all of the way forward or just letting it return to an upright neutral position?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if pushing it all the way down and it's short seating.
the dillon has an adjustment on it.
the spring and holder are both on a rod it has some adjustment via the hex screw holding it in the slider arm.
the spring and outer holder glide up and down on the rod,and are what gives you the resistance you feel when pushiing the handle forward when there is no primer present.
the guide is also the stop at the forward handle position.
i set mine so the top of the guide is about even with the head on the ram when it's at rest.
and then the sprng pressure is over come with the handle and the little rod stays in place seating the primer.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lamar! That fixed it!