THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not specifically a reloading question, but...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what techniques do you guys use when you're shooting for accuracy off of the bench? I put masking tape on the forend to mark where it should sit on the rest each time, but other than trying to maintain consistent pressure and hold from shot to shot, that's about it. Also, how far down the forend do you place the rest, etc? I've noticed significant POI changes between the bench and offhand if I place the rest too far down the forend on some of my rifles.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
what techniques do you guys use when you're shooting for accuracy off of the bench?

I use a 2pc front and rear rest with good leather bags filled with heavy sand. the front bag fits the forearm and does not allow it to roll or wobble. The rear is a bunney ear type with the same idea as the front.
very little pressure on the hold and I let the stock ride in the bags, these are some examples of the type of rest avalable
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...4/17/p028417sq01.jpg
http://images.cabelas.com/is/i..._imageset_01?$index$

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now use an adjustable front rest from Sinclair and standard squeeze rear bag.
Years ago an older gentleman taught me to place the front rest just in front of the front action screw. This seems to be more important on sporters than varmint or target stocks(less flex-I think).

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For rifles with a lot of recoil hold the forearm with your off hand and place it on top of the rest. This way you can feel how much force your face is putting on the butt stock. You should try to avoid anchoring the rifle with your face. The downward pressure from your face tends to bend the stock.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Rifles are a lot like girls...different ones like different things.

Some like to be held very tightly. Others like to be carefully approached and receive all your attention but not quite be touched until they really get going.

But again, like girls, no other person, not even a well intentioned and very experienced friend can tell you exactly what your's will like unless he's actually played (and maybe actually scored) with her a great deal himself.

You have to try out the different approaches and see what SHE likes. Her performance will tell you.

Some of mine like to be held very solidly front and rear while lying on a firm rest at both points. Others of mine like to be completely untouched except for one finger on their "exciter" until they go off. Then they "rare" up against my shoulder and I use my other hand just enough to keep them from flying completely off onto the floor.

I keep a little notebook to tell me which likes what.

Now, as to my RIFLES.....well, never mind.

Point is, you have to do the work, keep records, and discover for yourself what yours will like best over the long haul.

Good luck!!

P.S., sometimes a good lubricant on the old bag(s) helps too.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote