Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 case stuck in fl sizer die, help?
 Login/Join

posted
Well Its stuck good any suggestions. I took the decapping pin out and tried punching it out, also the rim is broke off, drilled through primer pocket, tried pliers. out of ideas. may need to buy another 270 die any body got one cheap.

Posts: 4 | Location: SE OK | Registered: 01 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will have to get a stuck case remover. Any of the Reloading supply places have them. Your local shop may even have one. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they get stuck so tightly that even a stuck case remover won't work.

If that happens, try heating the die. I did so once by placing the die on the coil of an electric stove and letting it rest on the glowing coil for a few minutes. Then I placed the die, still hot, in my press and succeeded in getting the stuck case out with a stuck case remover -- I had been unable to do so before heating the die. If you remember your high school physics, heating the ring of the ring and ball set would allow the ball to go through the ring, even though when both were cool the ball would not go through. In a similar way, heating the die allows it to expand slightly, and the brass case is then released and can be extracted.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
If you are unable to locate a broken shell extractor locally, you can use a socket of the correct size and a flat washer. Tap the primer hole out to 1/4 X 20 and you should be able to pull the case.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Who the Manufactor? My RCBS and Lee, Hornady comes with warrentee that say's they remove a stuck case -just have to pay for shipping back to them.

[ 08-01-2003, 23:08: Message edited by: Gunnut45/454 ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many times I've said it, but I'll say it one more time, sooner or later you're gonna need a stuck case remover, BUY ONE!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
My stuck case remover is simply RCBS customer service. With an RCBS die, if you get a stuck case just send it back to them with a nice note and they'll send you a new die for free.

It's happened for me (only once in the last 25 years) and I know of others who have had the same result.

The FL die I sent back was over 20 years old and had that really light surface rust. I sent it back and got a new two die set. The price tag is still on the old die plastic case. I paid $9 and some change in 1976. Pretty good deal. RCBS is the die of choice for me.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HM1996 is right.

I drill the primer pocket hole and tap for 1/4-20, put a piece of threaded 14/20 rod in the hole with Loc-Tite, add a stack of three or four 5/8" washers (something to push against) and a 1/4" fender washer. tighten down a 1/4" nut, and it should pull that case out for you. If you've boogered the decapping pin rod thingy, RCBS will send you one, gratis.

Those decapping assemblies are not strong enough to push out a stuck case.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got this handy tool out in the garage, it's called a slide hammer. Bought it used at a pawn shop. Just get the one with the threaded screw on the end.

I use it more than I care to admit!

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll third the drill & tap the primer pockect, then use a socket and washers with a bolt method. Works great and you can buy the tap for a few bucks at a hardware store if you don't have one. I usually screw the die in my press upside down to hold it and make it easier to work with. Case lube is your friend.

John

[ 08-03-2003, 19:54: Message edited by: jt1 ]

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine a case so stuck that an RCBS case remover will not screw it out, even if I had to use a 24 inch pipe wrench on it....that is an impossibility...

The little tool doesn't cost much and you can have any case out in 10 minutes or less...Why would everyone not have one....it makes life a lot less stressful. and you know your going to stick a case come hell or high water every now and then.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote