Find
Notify
Tools

.219 Zipper accurate loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted
I also picked up a real nice Marlin 336 .219 Zipper (1957). Anyone have an accurate load to share. Powders on hand are IMR 4198 (lots of this), N201, 4064, and RL15.
Bullets-35 gr Hornady, 40 gr Hornady, Winchester, and Sierras, 45 gr Hornady and Sierra, 50 gr Hornady, 52 gr Sierra and Calhoun.
I would especially like to use up some of my supply of IMR 4198.
Also, and I will post in "Classifieds" does anyone have a set of .219 dies they would care to sell? Also brass?
Thanks,

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must love old dogs. Cases can be made from .30/30, probably easier from the much newer 7 waters...

E. Brown, eabco.com, has done much work with this family of rounds. .219 Don Wasp was an offspring.

Factory bullets were flat nosed for safety in tube magazines. Ugly. Accuracy was not bench rest. !! Best of luck. Happy Holidays. Happy Trails. It was born for a saddle scabard.

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Yes, I love all the dogs and orphans of the cartridge world. I guess I just love the reloading challenge of making reasonably accurate ammo for these old guns.
This is my 3rd Marlin Zipper. I plan to hang on to this one (hey, that's what I said about the first two).

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steyrsteve:
I also picked up a real nice Marlin 336 .219 Zipper (1957). Anyone have an accurate load to share. Powders on hand are IMR 4198 (lots of this), N201, 4064, and RL15.
Bullets-35 gr Hornady, 40 gr Hornady, Winchester, and Sierras, 45 gr Hornady and Sierra, 50 gr Hornady, 52 gr Sierra and Calhoun.
I would especially like to use up some of my supply of IMR 4198.
Also, and I will post in "Classifieds" does anyone have a set of .219 dies they would care to sell? Also brass?
Thanks,

There are a set of Hollywood, a set of Herters and several Hornady on e-Bay

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the ebay dies. Just got back home and haven't checked there for a few days.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
The Hollywood .219 Zipper dies from ebay arrived today. Just like new. I went ahead and order some preformed brass as I don't have the time to properly make it from all the 30/30 I have.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Hollywood's. Currently using in 219 Donaldson Wasp

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 3rd Edition lists loads W H4198 & IMR 4064, I have used it as guide. I made one on a 340 Savage, I reduced Hornady data 10% for my MAX (ie MAX is 30gr -10% = 27gr MAX) and worked up to it.
Be careful with published data, some of it was developed in stronger actions.
Try to find 25-35 Win brass, it is easy to form with FL 219 die. I use a shortened 7-30 trim die to neck and move the shoulder back, then a 25-35 trim to neck-down then FL 219 .

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I also posted this under the LEVER ACTION heading:
All with reformed R-P 30/30 brass and WLR primers. I single load, hence the long OAL.
25 gr IMR4064/55 gr FMJ (military pulls, mostly for sighting in) 3 @.75", pulled the fourth shot to 1".
28 gr IMR4064/52 gr Sierra HPBT/2.41" OAL. 3 shots in 5/8".

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA