Notify
Tools

Bullet dilema - need advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
Let me set the stage.
I bought a bunch of 465 gr Dead Tough Softs in 458. They shoot well out of my Ruger M77 but do not feed worth a darn. Used 75 gr H4895. Gunsmith states with ogive of bullet , nothing he can do to fix feeding issue.
Switched them over to my Browning Safari - they shoot AND feed like a dream with 77 gr H4895 (max load btw). Will shoot slightly enlarged one hole groups at 50 yds. Problem is that I cannot bring up the POI any further. Scope is at top of adjustment.
I took out some of my 500 gr Barnes (56gr RL7 which is far from max load) because I shot these on safari in 2012 out of this gun\scope. POI on first shot was high as expected because I turned the adjustment higher for the Dead Toughs. I then turned the adjustment down 8 clicks and the Barnes followed suit as expected.
What I don't get is that the Dead Toughs at max load and less weight, I cannot get to shoot at a higher POI.
Dilema is, with them shooting so well, what should I do if I can't bring them higher on target? I have probably another 1000 bullets left.
Here is the 50 yard target of the 465 gr Dead Toughs. 3 shots created a slightly bigger hole.

Here is the 50 yard target of the 500 gr Barnes. 1st shot with no scope adjustment from shooting the Dead toughs - which was at top of scope adjustment - was high above target. 2nd and 3rd shots were after bringing scope adjustment down 8 clicks.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have your gunsmith mill the bottom of the front scope mount. This will raise the POI with the same scope.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could always shim your scope to get your elevation adjustment back.....

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
You can shim the scope bases and bring down the point of aim. I haven't had enough caffeine this morning to tell you if it's the front or rear base that needs the shim.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut a couple of shims from a soda/beer can and put one on top of the scope in front and one on the bottom at the rear. You may need more than one at each end.
If it were me, I'd center the scope(count the number of clicks from the top limit to the bottom limit and halve it) and work to that. Scopes usually do their best work when the cross hairs are close to being centered.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using the Redfield rotary dovetail type rings you can get the rings made by Burris that have eccentric inserts.

Center your crosshairs mechanically. Then mount the scope and install the inserts so they put the cross hairs about 6 inches below the bullseye when bore sighted at 100 yards.
In other words center the bore on the bullseye and adjust the inserts to put the cross hairs about 6" below the center of the bullseye.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
As mentioned in the prior post, Burris Signature rings are the way to go. Just make sure you buy the offset insert kit to go along with the rings.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your simplest, quickest, most effective, and by far most economical solution is to place a shim between the BOTTOM of the scope and the REAR ring. I've used strips of aluminum foil, but electrical tape matches the color of the rings/scope and won't scar anything. Soda can shims might actually be too thick and will typically have rough edges that can scratch the scope.

Assuming that your rings are horizontally split, it is pointless to shim on top of the scope on the front ring since this doesn't move the scope relative to the gun, only the irrelevant top ring cap.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
electrical tape matches the color of the rings/scope and won't scar anything

Tried this tonight and ran out to range. Would have never thought that a single piece of electrical tape would have given me about 8" lift! This will definitely be temporary. I'll have the gunsmith shave the front scope mount when I get a chance now that I know it wouldn't take much.
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats why I always use Burris Signature Rings.
With the Pos-Align Offset Inserts you can sight-in your rifle without moving the scope adjustment dials off the center X center position.
And you don't have to ream or lap the scope rings to prevent ring rash as the inserts self center the scope.
Best rings I've ever used, now the only ring type I'll buy.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You put a shim on the front and back to keep from bending the tube.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote