Notify
Tools

.222 interesting loads!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Rifle: CZ 527- .222
1***12.2 grains Blue Dot(O my)FC cases, wolf primers.
  • 34grains Hp-Varmint Nite Mare, Mid South.oal=2.115" mild a little soot, 3014 to 3177 fps. 4 shot 3/3" group at 50 yds.Good stuff at 200 yds.
  • 46 gr. Win. component,oal= 2.130", mild, soot, 2699 to 2802 fps. 5 shot 1/2" group at 50yds. 2" group at 200 yds.
  • 52 grain HP FB berger, oal= 2.170", 2669 to 2728 fps. Not bad at all at 50 and 200 yds.

2*** 15.7 grains 2400, cases FC, primers wolf,
  • 34grain HP VNM, oal=2.117", 3165 to 3378 fps.some soot not hot, 4 shot 1/4" group at 50yds. just great at 200yds.
  • 46grain HP component, WINn, oal= 2.128", 2969 to 3039 fps. 4 shot 1/2" group at 50 yds.
  • 52 grain FB-HP Berger, oal= 2.180", 2845 to 2954 fps.7 shot 1/4" group at 50 yds.

Roll Eyes
  • 52 grain HP-FB Berger, 14 grains 1680, LC09 cases, WSR primers, oal=2.245" does not fit in mag but does in throat., 2124 to 2252 fps. 7 shot 3/8" group at 50 yds.Funtastic. Was aiming at 1/4" dot. groups tightened up latter when aiming at 1/8" dot. All groups were a little large because of HUMAN ERROR***ME! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks Roger, sounds like some fun loads. I've got a couple 222s, a 1st year 700 and an early 722 single shot 40X. Both shoot extremely well. I think I'll try some of your loads and see how they work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    The load with the 1680 was a real surprise! shocker
    The blue dot load will allow a double charge without spill over. Just a word of caution.
    popcornThe 2400 loads were not as sooty as I thought they'd be!
    Roll EyesPerformance like this from this winnie barreled rifle was a true bonus! It seems to just get better every outing and that's with an El Cheepo BSA scope! claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I've had great performance from 13.5 grains of Blue Dot under a 50 grain HNDY SP in a .223 (2850 FPS and 1" @ 100), so your loads sound about right for the slightly smaller .222 case.

Double charging is possible to do and would be hazardous to your health, but so is sticking a .270 Win in a 7mm RM and pulling the trigger. I've never done the former in 45 years of reloading, but I've seen people do the latter.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Double charging is possible to do and would be hazardous to your health, but so is sticking a .270 Win in a 7mm RM and pulling the trigger.

fishingI'll bite on this one Stony! what happens?? Don't see the danger. I mean really I don't. oldroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    The 270 is long enough to be held against the bolt face in the 7mm chamber, so it (usually) will be set off by the firing pin blow. The 7mm chamber is large enough in the area just ahead of the .270 head that the .270 lacks sufficient elasticity to expand all the way to the walls and will rupture, thus filling the chamber and action with gas. In most guns this isn't a catasrophic failure, but likewise, many actions will allow gas to shoot backward through (or around) the bolt and into the shooter's face.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The 270 is long enough to be held against the bolt face in the 7mm chamber, so it (usually) will be set off by the firing pin blow. The 7mm chamber is large enough in the area just ahead of the .270 head that the .270 lacks sufficient elasticity to expand all the way to the walls and will rupture, thus filling the chamber and action with gas. In most guns this isn't a catasrophic failure, but likewise, many actions will allow gas to shoot backward through (or around) the bolt and into the shooter's face.

Ok I see where that might be possible. Open question: does any one know if this ever happened? If not I really may put on my face shield and try it. This is not meant to be a put done . It'll be a genuine search for knowledge beer roger

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    popcornStep 1. I dropped a fired .270 case int the Stevens mod. 200, 7mm Rem mag.,closed the bolt pulled the trigger, opened it and the case was surprisingly extracted and ejected. The spent primer appeared to have a deeper indention.
    step 2. Did the same thing with a primed case and it fired. The primer was flattened and extruded .014" beyond the case, showing excessive head space but, in this rifle, not enough to preclude ignition.This indicates that the first part of Stonecreek's postulate is spot on.
    Roll EyesIf I can remember the next time I go to the range we'll try firing the .270 in the 7mm Rem Mag.
    flame The head space thing kinda threw me for a loop. The .270 shoulder shouldn't even come close to the chamber shoulder. Taking some neck diameter and case measurements indicated that the once fired .270 case was hitting where the chamber neck stopped and the throating began .Sure enough the .270 case had a slight crimp. I than ran a number of .270 cases in and out of the 7mm. Some extracted and some didn't. The ones that did not were .010 to .020" shorter than the original cases. The ones that did extract showed the crimp effect.
    popcornGoing a step further the long and the shorter .270 cases were Full length resized. They each grew about .010" in length and would extract. Bullets were seated in each and they both would extract. Neither case was chamffered ,ID or OD .
    fishingI guess nothing is left to do but the acid test. beer roger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I'd be using sandbags and string instead of a face mask.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by craigster:
    I'd be using sandbags and string instead of a face mask.

popcornSounds like a plan to me! tu2roger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Bartshe: Yes, I knew a guy who owned identical Remington 700's in .270 and 7mm RM, both of which he had at the same time at the range for sighting. He inadvertantly placed a .270 round in the 7mm and touched it off, resulting in the blown case I described, and blowing his face full of escaping gas (thankfully, without permanent damage to his face or eyes).

Afterward, he admitted his mistake but extolled the virtues of the 700 action as being "extra strong" and swearing that he would have been injured or even killed if it had been a "weaker" action. Of course, he had no idea that the failure had nothing to do with excessive pressure or that his lack of injury had nothing to do with the "strength" of the action -- just with how gas from a case failure is diverted and channeled. I'm not sure if the Rem 700 is better or worse in this regard than other actions -- I just try to keep .270 rounds out of any 7mm RM chamber.

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Bartshe: Yes, I knew a guy who owned identical Remington 700's in .270 and 7mm RM, both of which he had at the same time at the range for sighting. He inadvertantly placed a .270 round in the 7mm and touched it off, resulting in the blown case I described, and blowing his face full of escaping gas (thankfully, without permanent damage to his face or eyes).

Afterward, he admitted his mistake but extolled the virtues of the 700 action as being "extra strong" and swearing that he would have been injured or even killed if it had been a "weaker" action. Of course, he had no idea that the failure had nothing to do with excessive pressure or that his lack of injury had nothing to do with the "strength" of the action -- just with how gas from a case failure is diverted and channeled. I'm not sure if the Rem 700 is better or worse in this regard than other actions -- I just try to keep .270 rounds out of any 7mm RM chamber.

popcornStoney, Did he have any trouble extracting the case? With the amount of brass expansion I can envision the case rupturing leaving some of the front end in the chamber.
    Roll Eyesalso can see at this point where it might be prudent to accept your observations and forget about reinventing the wheel. tu2 roger beer

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I have seen the same .270 in a 7MM Mag bone head move. In this case the guy had a pair of BARs. The blown case bulged the BAR receiver and blew the magazine out the bottom.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SR4759:
    I have seen the same .270 in a 7MM Mag bone head move. In this case the guy had a pair of BARs. The blown case bulged the BAR receiver and blew the magazine out the bottom.

shockerGreat information! Thank you. beer
    This thread may have taken a little detour but from what I learned it was info well presented tu2 roger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I repaired a Ruger 77 in 7MM because a fellow got to excited when running his pasture.The rifle shot the 270Win without any problems but the stock and floor plate was toast.
    The brass came out without any problems and he had just a few shrapnel witness marks on his face and arms.I think he also ruined his shorts if I remember right.
    So if you do this[just for scientific purposes]just be careful.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by plainsman456:
    I repaired a Ruger 77 in 7MM because a fellow got to excited when running his pasture.The rifle shot the 270Win without any problems but the stock and floor plate was toast.
    The brass came out without any problems and he had just a few shrapnel witness marks on his face and arms.I think he also ruined his shorts if I remember right.
    So if you do this[just for scientific purposes]just be careful.

Roll EyesI read and believe and am not going any further. patriotroger