Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Herters 101 Powder
 Login/Join

posted
I have recently been given 3 cans of Herters Model Perfect Rifle Powder 101. All 3 cans were sealed by a gray strip of tape and appear to have never been opened. I've looked thru all my old reloading books and can find no reference to this powder. I called Herters (yes they still do have an office), but the fellow I talked to tried to look this up and could not find anything on it. I opened one can up and the powder looks similar to say 4350. I ask Herters if maybe the powder was made by someone else and they just put their name on it, but he said that Herters had their own plant in Scotland(where this was made) and it would have been made by Herters, but that it was quite old. I'd appreciate it if anyone knows anything about this powder. No I'm not going to reload with it, but was just trying to find some history on it.
Another one is Dupont # 6 Pistol powder. Anything????
Thanks Bob

Posts: 9 | Location: Anaconda, Montana | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scotland? That surprises me somewhat since Herter's got most of their explosive products from Scandanavia. I think at one time Norma made many of them, but it's all but impossible to check now unless you run into some reloader over 70 years of age with one hell of a memory.
Herter's is just a fragment of its former self. Like many, I've spent a lot of cold snowy nights curled up with an old Herter's catalog. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Waters book "Pet Loads" is just full of data for obsolete and out of date powders. You might pick up a copy, I know I've seen Herters powder and bullets listed in the data there (I'm at work, book is at home)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
According to Catalog #79 Herter's Model Perfect Powders were made in Scotland. I think in the final years the powder was called "Scot's".
If you want I will try to scan the page and you can read what it says about Herter's Model Perfect 101 powder. If it won't scan, I will be glad to copy and snail mail.

Let me know!
LouisB

I bought the catalog just to wax nostalgic about the "old days".

Still have many things from them and the Herters PERFECT french Chef knife is a WINNER even when compared to MUCH more expensive knives. Wish I had bought more of their knives.

four bucks and change as I remember it!

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a few cans of Herter's 164 a few months ago.
I can find no real load data for it, but it is about like loading Unique in terms of density and speed.

I am not afraid to work up a load with any powder, no matter how unknown, but that may not be for everyone.

[ 11-25-2003, 08:03: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herters powder information and loading from 1966 indicatres that Herters 101 Powder is "similar" to DuPont IMR 4320 of that time frame. I have a Herters loading data "Book" copyright 1966, if you will reply and indicate the calibers that you are interested in loading I will try to scan the appropriate page or pages for you. I have a small amount of Herters powder left from years ago. I am still using it to load for the .308 Win. and 30/06. If your powder has been properly stored and is still in the original sealed can, would it be unusual to use it? It is only about 40 years old. Compare that to the people that fire the Turkish 8mm Mauser military ammo from the 1930's and 1940's. That powder is about 24 years older (about 64 years old). There are even people that reload using the Turkish powder down loaded from this old ammunition. I really like the Herters 100 Powder. I wish I had a lot more of it.

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herters powders are almost certainly ICI Nobel powders made in Glasgow.
I have both Herters and ICI reloading manuals and the load data is identical, too much of a coincidence.
Nobels Rifle Powder No.1 is Herters 101

Posts: 59 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that Nobel powder is very good. If stored properly it should still be "perfect".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a can of herters 164 what can anybody tell be about that.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks much to everyone for the info- LouisB I would very much appreciate it if you could scan the page.
Safeshot- would also appreciate any info you could scan on 30-06,270 and 243.
Tailgunner-I will look for a copy of Ken Waters book "Pet Loads"
OzzieDoc- I'll keep my eyes open at some of the gun shows for either a Herters or ICI Manuals
Cal- I too have spent many nights looking at the "Wish" book. When I first started reloading and shooting, most everything was Herters. From their press and dies to their snowmobiles. They were truly one of the "Great companies" Thanks again to everyone for the responce. Bob

Posts: 9 | Location: Anaconda, Montana | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I will have to get back to you with the scaned pages of the Herters loading data after the Thanksgiving holidays, probably tuesday.

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herters 100 = Nobels Rifle 0
Herters 101 = Nobels Rifle 1
Herters 102 = Nobels Rifle 2
Herters 160 = Nobels Shotgun 60
Herters 162 = Nobels Shotgun 62
Herters 164 = Nobels Shotgun 64

164/64 seems to be slower than Unique, closer to the old Herco data. In the Herters manual most 164 loads are usually a touch lower than Herco but significantly higher than Unique.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Herters 164 = Nobels Shotgun 64

164/64 seems to be slower than Unique, closer to the old Herco data. In the Herters manual most 164 loads are usually a touch lower than Herco but significantly higher than Unique.

Thanks OzzieDoc!

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Herter's line was manufactured by ICI in Scotland, just as were many of the Hodgdon line at one time (now most of them are ADI from Australia). One of my favorite Hodgdon powders, H4895, was for many years an ICI product. I haven't had occasion to buy any H4895 in a number of years, but presume that today's product would be from ADI.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the help and info-Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozziedoc thanks for the 164 data

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Middleforkshooter

Someone up above this post provided a quote of the speed of 101 . . . 4320 comparable.
This info compared to that that can be provided by some of the folks with the GEORGE L. HERTER Model PERFECT manual is lacking substance.
LouisB

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote