New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sierra-Pro hunter & Game King
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm with Mr Appleseed--I feel the same way he does. (and I like his name!!)

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the 120 gr Prohunter in my 260 remington. I've had good luck with it, though the latest deer has made me wonder. My sister used this rifle/load (max load of Reloader 19) to take a young buck at about 35-40 yds. The bullet broke 2-3 ribs going in, pierced the heart and both lungs, then took out a couple more ribs on the off side of the cage. Lastly, before exiting, it pulverized the top of the offside legbone, punching a hole you could put your fist through. YOu should see the pictures!

I don't know the velocity of this load, but I may need to stipulate that it be used on "distant" deer from now on.

Cooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
How good are these bullets for deer size animals??
How fast can they be pushed before going to a premium bullet

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I just returned from Wisconsin deer hunting and we killed eight deer with guns from .243 to .300 win mag and a lot of different mfr and styles of bullet.

I can say from that (and many years of historical) experience that the bullet you use is not too important. At least for deer size game....it's where you hit them that's important.

Any HUNTING bullet (not target bullet) will be fine for the task.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Ant HUNTING bullet (not target bullet) will be fine for the task.

Hey vapodog, Before you get your new icon going ( ), your complementing eldegello in another post has turned your brain off.

Only about two people on this board that I suspect would "claim to have" used the very best Ant hunting bullets ever made, have special rifles for them, claim you are wasting your time practicing your shooting with any rifle on paper and that if you can't do it with statistics then it isn't worth talking about.

Since you aren't either of those people, I'd suspect a "typo"!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both the ProHunter and the GameKing bullets from my 308 Win and 260 Rem. with excellent results. Never tried them through a magnum. If I did at least in 30 caliber I would use the 165 gr. HPBT GameKing it is a lot tougher bullet than people give it credit for. Between myself and the people I hunt with we have killed 17 hogs with that bullet and have yet to recover one of the bullets. I just really don't think in any caliber based on a 308 Win case you need a premium/bonded bullet for deer sized game. I may be talking out of school but if I was going to go elk hunting with a 308 I would bet the 165 gr. HPBT GameKing would get the job done. But then I have never had any problem with the old Rem. Corelokt bullets out of a 308 either. Just my H.O.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine took a nice buck with the 300wsm I sold him. He was using reloads with 150 sierra pro hunters over a charge of 4350. Shot was about 175yds with POI dead center of the shoulder. Needless to say he threw away the whole front end of that one. There was NO salvageable meat. You guys can shoot what you want...but for me its either x bullets or accubonds. I do like having a little freezer meat from the animals i harvest. BTW...that deer my buddy shot...bullet never exited. Sierra does make an accurate bullet but i put em in a class with the NBT....good for punchin holes in PAPER.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Sierra bullets, using the Game King bullet in several different calibers. I find it does the job in the field as well as being quite accurate. However, I've used the Pro Hunter bullets only from the bench and have some reservations. I don't find them very accurate at all.
I've come to expect better from Sierra. This is merely my opinion, and I may have bought a box(100) that was sub standard or in some other way lacking. I prefer the 150 PSP better as a hunting bullet in my .308Win. It may also be my rifle. It has a 1 in 12" twist and doesn't do well with hunting bullets above 150gr. For whatever reason the 165gr. Pro Hunter doesn't well perform for me. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ant hunting bullets ever made

Yea.....I meant any

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have much experience with punching deer in the shoulder with a rifle bullet other than my buddy drilling a three point square in the shoulder this year. He used a .277 130 gr Sierra spitzer boattail and it too ruined the whole front quarter, we didn't even find any pieces of the bullet. My question is what kind of meat loss should one expect shooting something in the shoulder with a premium bullet. I guess some would call it bullet failure but the deer dropped like a rock and never moved.
Thanks,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them both and have switched to a hornady interlock because I believe the interlocks are constructed better. I'd say that an interlock is the step in between a sierra and a premium bullet.

Posts: 83 | Location: Cody, Wy. | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote