THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Which is best, shoulder bump or Full length neck sizing?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is best, shoulder bump or Full length neck sizing?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
I noticed after getting used to my new Hornady Match grade bushing sizing die that I ordered a FL die instead of a bump shoulder neck sizing die, now the question is, is it going to make any difference if I went with the bump shoulder version and sent the FL die back to Midway?
I mean is my SPSS 308 going to shoot with more precision with a die that doesnt size the body?
Will the FL die wear out the body of my cases faster?

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dies and chambers come in all sizes, and if the FL die happens to be cut quite a bit smaller than the chamber in question, it will size your brass quite "hard". If this is the case, you'll notice you need to trim your cases often.

By and large, however, with respect to long case life, as long as your die adjustment ensures that the shoulder is not pushed back more than .001-.002" on each sizing, case life will hardly be affected by the choice of FL vs NS (with or without shoulder bump) die.

If you choose to use a die which does not size the case body, eventually your cases will chamber harder and harder and you'll have to FL size anyway. But if you bump the shoulder every time you size, this will likely take longer than if you used a NS-only die.

Other than the potential for additional case stretch, I believe each rifle is a law upon itself in terms of die selection. Some rifles like tight fitting (NS) cases, others don't. I choose to (P)FL size almost all my brass these days, but that has as much to do with a desire for smooth chambering as an attempt to predict what will be most accurate.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
It could also conceivably be a shell holder that is a little on the deep side. It is not unusual to have to dress a thou or two of the top of your shell holder to get a less cramped fit in the chamber. All shell holders are not created equal and I think Redding also sells deffering depth holders. I would mearure overall height and dress top on 320 w&d untill you have reduced by .001 then re-set the die to the shell holder, take an unsized piece of brass, size and try in the chamber to see if there is a less cramped feel. You may need to repeat the dress and try but use a different piece of brass each time. I shoulder bump about every fifth neck size when I anneal.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and ordered the "neck' sizing die, too. So now Ill have a FL and just neck size match bushing die, they both bump the shoulder if need be, also ordered 2 RCBS tungston disulfide bushings, one @.334 the other @.331" since the .336" Hornady bushing isnt giving me enough neck tension for my lapua cases. The.331 will be for the Win brass.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote