New
Find
Notify
Tools

.376 Steyr...OAL vrs Actual Length???
 Login/Join

posted
Hiya folks.
Hopin somebody has some insight into this issue. I am working up loads for my .376, but found the same issue some years ago w/ a M-70 in .375H&H, and that's this: on my Stoney Point OAL gauge, I have found that my Steyr COULD take a cartridge with a OAL of 3.600, but due to magazine length restrictions, have to keep it at3.125. This, seems to me, to be a HUGE jump to the lands for this cartridge, and have to believe that the accuracy suffers for it. Whatdaya think? Pipe in on how it affects various calibers/guns too please.

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
RC,
Welcome to the forums... I too shoot a 376, but I KNEW i would be limited to 3.11 ish... but, when you set the bullets to the cannelure, they all wind up shorter than the max... that's not exactly true, as the "pointy" 270 and 300s are much longer.

How does the gun shoot? moa or better? I would STRONGLY suggest you get a box of barnes 250s and see how they work. You have a natural 50thou built into it, and I bet then shoot great

While that jump is large, my 257 has about the same difference..

jeffe

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Speedy>
posted
RC

I too have a 376 Steyr (Scout style) and am limited by magazine length. I found it not to be a problem with the 270 grain XLC bullets. It shoots .75 MOA even jumping a mile to the lands.