New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 from 30-06 cases ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it a good idea or not to make 7x64 cases out of 30-06 cases considering they are 1mm short ? i have plenty of o6 cases .Save me having to buy 7x64.Any good loads with Hodgon powders and 175 gr proj ? thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by velodog:
Is it a good idea or not to make 7x64 cases out of 30-06 cases considering they are 1mm short ? i have plenty of o6 cases .Save me having to buy 7x64.Any good loads with Hodgon powders and 175 gr proj ? thanks

The cases won't neccessarily be 1 m/m short after you size the necks of the '06 cases down to hold the .284" diameter bullets...the brass has to go somewhere, and sometimes it lengthens the necks very slightly, as well as making them a bit thicker.

Anyway, having a neck 1m/m too short is WAY better than having it any amount too long [G}.

I used to make 7x64 brass from '06 stock all the time for my Johann Springer bolt gun. Worked tickety-poo (worked well, that is).

One thing you should do after forming '06 to 7x64 is make sure the overall diameter of the loaded case neck is still small enough to properly release the bullet upon firing. If it is not small enough to give your loaded rounds at least .002" clearance in your chamber neck before firing, you should either outside turn or inside ream the formed cases to get that much clearance or more BEFORE FIRING EVEN ONCE.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote