New
Find
Notify
Tools

which primers for Win 760?
 Login/Join

<ringneck>
posted
I worked up a hunting load for my 7x57 with Win 760 powder and Fed 210 primers. The load shoots great but I wonder if I should have use a magnum primer to light this ball powder. It will be used as a hunting load in cold weather. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shawn

posted Hide Post
I don't use magnum primers in non-magnum cartridges unless the powder charge is over 60 grains.

Unless you're talking about sustained sub-zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures, I doubt you'll have a problem with either ignition or load performance.

You can try it of course, but you'll have to back off and work your way back up.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
FWIW:

I have a 7-08 and a 308 based wildcat. When I use a Mag. primer, with 748 or 760, I find that I reach equal velocity (and therefore pressure) with about 1.5 - 2.0 gr. less powder. My rifles deliver equal accuracy with the mag primer, so that's what I use when shooting a ball powder load.

As previously posted, don't forget to drop your load and work back up.

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, you don't need magnum primers. (Is there something in the performance of your current loads which makes you think otherwise?)

Yes, you CAN use magnum primers. Accuracy may change and pressures/velocities may be DIFFERENT, either higher or lower, depending on the brand and lot compared to the original brand and lot.

Whatever "standard" primers you are currently using will continue to go "bang" in tempertures far lower than you will.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ringneck>
posted
No problem with the load that I can see. I have never used much ball powder but had heard that it's harder to ignite. But, I figured that the small case capacity of the 7x57 would be OK with the standard primer as was stated above. The load shoots great so I'll probably just stick with it unless I have a problem. Thanks for the replies.

Shawn

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Basically you are using a mag primer!!! The Fed 210 is hotter than many mag primers on the market. From several "rag's" its been noted that the 210 "appears" to have more heat/flash than most mags other than the win or federals 215. I'd say that if you want a little extra insurance and perhaps some more consitancy you might want to debur the flash hole. Once you've done that, I'll bet that 210 will light any powder at temps that any sane man might hunt in.