Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on the 204 Ruger??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
1. Ok what is the main difference between this and the 20 Tactical? Mainly concerned about the difference in case capacity.

2. Does anyone have any reloading data for the 204 Ruger? I do have some data on the 20 tactical. I just do not know how interchangeable they are (data wise that is!)

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop:

The .20 Tactical is based on the .223 case. The .204 Ruger is based on the .222 Magnum. The .222 has a greater case capacity, so thus does the .204 compared to the .20 Tactical. The .204 also has a longer neck than the .20 Tactical.

Can't help with the load data. Hope this helps you out though.

Regards, Wyo

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Great! Does anyone know the shoulder angle on the 204 Ruger?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
Great! Does anyone know the shoulder angle on the 204 Ruger?

30 Degrees

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop: According to a blueprint of dimensions I received from the Sierra folks who got it from the Hornady folks DMCI is right the shoulder angle is 30 degrees. The neck length is .310" by the way. I can not find a print right now of the 20 Tactical.
I have 3 204 Rifles and they all love the Berger 35 grain bullets. Both accuracy and lethality wise. Having said that I am now going to use the wonderful Sierra 32 grain BlitzKings from now on in my Rifles. Again superb accuracy and lethality but less cost and better availability.
I have some loads that my Rifles like but I hesitate to quote them for you. Maybe after another years use I will burp them up for you.
I do though highly recommend the Federal 205 Match primers to you for use in the 204 Ruger.
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
1. Ok what is the main difference between this and the 20 Tactical? Mainly concerned about the difference in case capacity.<br /><br />2. Does anyone have any reloading data for the 204 Ruger? I do have some data on the 20 tactical. I just do not know how interchangeable they are (data wise that is!)

Try http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html for both load data and drawings.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brent andrade
posted Hide Post
the data for the other cartridge is about right for starting loads ! or try as did i , use starting loads for same weight bullet in 222mag as is parent cartridge , and back off 3 grains from there , then proceed , my ruger shoots very well , but im useing blc2 . these will be a decent starting load , 20 grn bullet /20 grs of 4198 22grs of 3031, and for heavier 30 grain bullets i use 18-23 grains of 4198 or 22 to 27 grains od 3031 , but work slowly , and be safe . hope this helped you out .

Posts: 40 | Location: pennsylvania , usa. | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote