Notify
Tools

Re: Nosler Partition Failure
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
How exciting!!

I've shot quite a few animals with Partitions, and the bullet has always performed well..

The wound and the exit hole are 2 different things...As many others have said, the internal damage is great- I've seen bear/deer vitals pretty much liquified by a partiton, while the exit hole isn't very big, even after hitting the offside shoulder..

As to shoulder shots, well..I use them. I'd much rather waste a pound or two of shoulder meat and drop an animal quickly, than have to look for the whole animal. Of course different terrain and different areas offer different ideas...

I know I would prefer not to have to chase a moose into a swamp.

I have personally seen Nosler BT's blow up twice when hitting deer shoulder bones at closer ranges. I jsut did a few penetration tests with the Accubond, and I suggest that anyone that wants a fast opening, good penetrating, accurate bullet check them out.

At 30 yards into wet newspaper, 7mm 140gr Accubonds penetrated 18", with good expansion, and they held together nicely..At loger ranges,(with lower velocity) they probably would have penetrated even more...160gr X bullets penetrated much farther, as expected, and had picture perfect expansion.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well count me as one of those meat-spoiling-shoulder-BUSTING- killing nimrods. I perhaps have less experience hunting than most of you here, but I've been around. Around enough to have killed a record book bear, african plains game animals including some weighing close to a ton and upwards of 80 deer. In that limited ezperience level, I learned FAST that shoulder shots both anchor and kill game faster than anything except maybe brain shots, and there are only a couple of animals out there where brain shots are used. Moreover, Professional Hunters are adamant about placing your first shot on the shoulder.

Accordingly, unless I am hunting deer sized animals, I load premium bullets and it that regard, Nosler Partitions set the standard over 50 years ago. I also use Swifts, but recognize there are others. And one more thing, It's called killing not harvesting.Lest we forget they are animals and not people. I "respect" my elders, seniors and "betters". Oh yeah, I've busted a few of those two, MK-20 ROCKEYEs are a great tool in that respect jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I have never had a Nosler partition fail, but I will stipulate that they sure work better in .308 caliber and larger...I won't use them on deer in smaller caliber than .270 as they do not leave a big hole for blood to escape from below that caliber.

I have had poor blood trails with Noslers and light calibers like 6mm and 25 cal. on more than one ocassion although the bullet performed as it was designed to do.

I agree with this! The exit holes are often small, leaving little, if any blood FROM THE EXIT WOUND! However, I have never had a deer shot with a Nosler Partition go more than maybe 10 yards or so from where it was hit, and often they were bleeding from the nose & mouth, which DID leave a blood trail!