New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 30-30 Lee Crimp Die??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a new 30-30 Lee Crimp die and it doesn't seem to crimp tight enough, i have adjusted it in and out, but i can still push the bullet against a wall and it will still move, I don't think its goonna be a tight enough crimp for my tubular magazine, any suggestions on how i might get a better crimp??

one of us
posted Hide Post
First, your bullet wil never get that kind of lateral pressure in your magazine tube, so purposely upsetting the concentricity of the loaded cartridge tells you nothing. Secondly, the crimp die makes it's own "cannelure", so any in-line pressure pushes the slightly wider diameter of bullet ahead of the crimp into the lip of the case mouth. The crimp is just fine. Just be sure that when you set up the crimp die, the collet is closing fully if you want maximum crimp.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And doesn't your seater die have the normal crimp anyway?
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried crimping with the seater die, but it would not hold in the magazine tube the bullets would be realatively shorter and caused major jam up, i think this Lee crimp die will do the job, thanks for all your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When useing the Lee Factory Crimp Die for rifles a handy thing to have is a small strip of .001 or .002 feeler gauge. Adjust the die just to the point that you cannot insert the corner of the feeler gauge into the space between the 4 "fingers" with the press at the top of the stroke. Thats the easiest way to be assured your getting maximum crimp without over tightening the die and forcing the fingers together. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never used the Lee collet dies but have heard that the degree of crimp may depend on the case length. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Also, it may help to turn the sizing die's expander button down to increase neck tension, cuz it sounds like you don't have much neck tension.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought about removing the expander in the sizing die and just using it without it that should get the neck smaller.