Notify
Tools

What hunting bullet has NEVER failed you
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Tasunkwitko
The Federal Classic bullets you refer to are Sierra's. My .338 shot those Federals so well that I went on a quest to find the bullet and work out the load and I found out they are Sierra (I contacted Sierra for this info) so I bought them in bulk Sierra 225 grain (non catologed Sierra bullet) Pro Hunters and bought about 500 of them.
I have never had a bullet failure from Sierra they have worked for Deer, Elk, Bighorn Sheep, Mtn. Goat, Antelope etc and were perfect every time and always give an exit. Can't complain.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Ballistic tips, Paritiions, Barnes X, and Swifts.

I like a lot of bullets.

Remington PSPs are pretty darn good as well.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partitions and Ballistic Tips. Unless on driven hunts I use to shoot exclusively at the "boiler room", that I guess would work with most kinds of bullets.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
.224 for coyotes/varmints (22-250)
45 gr Winchester JHP's (Bulk Pack of 40)
50 gr Sierra Blitz Kings
50 gr Berger Match Bullets
55 gr Sierra Game Kings
70 gr Barnes TSX

55gr Sierra GK's were used on a 5x4 Whitetail with great success, even though bullet smashed a rib a bit far back going in, he died within 30 yards.

The 45 gr WJHP's, and BK's turn lots of smaller vermin to dust.

The 50 gr Berger match bullets are my go to bullet for coyote's and fox.

The 70 gr TSX's keyhole as the twist in my barrel is much too slow to stabalize such a long heavy bullet, so they will be loaded into my brother's .223 to see what they can do!

140 gr Berger VLD
150 gr Berger VLD

The 140 gr I used last fall to take 3 white tails, and they worked like a charm! the 150's I have yet to load and test

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
For deer sized game and smaller I have every confidence in the core-locts, Sierra Pro Hunters, Scirroco's.

For larger size (not dangerous) Swift A-frames, older core-locts before they changed them, and partitions.

I have seen so many deer killed with core locts and cannot remember one failing. I am not sure when Remington changed there bullet but I think after they did they lost alot of ammo business.

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
DOesn't exist. I'ld bet all bullets, even the premiums have "failed" at one time or another. Still, I trust the A-frame styles like Swift & Nosler Partitions over the mono metals. The mono metals are getting better though. I hunt w/ NPs for everything & have never had one fail, yet.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to sound arrogant but the so-called "bullet failures" are in most cases "shooting failures", "caliber failures" (too light, too fast), or both.

Any reasonable large SP bullet shot at the boiler room will penetrate deep enough to kill.

Especially on driven hunts however these "little mistakes" are not always avoidable, thus, under those circumstances it makes real sense to buy a premium bullen and shoot a larger caliber.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Remington Cor Loc for many years was all I used with no problems.

I have since used Sierra Game Kings and Sierra Pro hunters with no problems.

Just this year I used Nosler Accubonds on 4 deer and one elk with no problems.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only hunt whitetail deer, andI have never had a bullet fail. The only deer I hit and didn't recover, I shot in a front leg.
I have used 270, 8x57, 30-06, 338 Win Mag, 35 Whelen, 458 Win mag, and even finished off road kills with a 22lr, fillet knife, and baseball bat. All worked.
I try to use Hornady mostly, but have used Corelokt, Ballistic Tips, and lots of federal power shock.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote