New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any interest in a new forum...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are there enough of us out there interested in Precision and Accuracy shooting to justify a forum?

Precision = small groups
Accuracy = point of aim

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How would this new forum differ from the Benchrest and Target forum?

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, long-range shooting is all about precision and accuracy.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't be a new Forum it would be a new board.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a word......no. What Mark said.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought perhaps it would increase member participation. What Mark said includes about four posts a week, on average for the two boards.

I wondered if there was much interest here for such a thing. I have my answer.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I would like it. there are things you can do to shoot small and accurate.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of things you can do to a box gun to enhance its accuracy and there are a lot of things you can do to enhance your precision before you get into the absolutely, totally anal world of bench rest or 1000 yard shooting. Each of those disciplines are a law unto themselves.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Minimal interest here. on AR.
Sorry; I know that is Idaho's passion.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
No thanks

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My true passion, that caused me to move here from the St Louis area; is killing Rockchucks from zipcode to zipcode...

Accuracy and Precision are means to that end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in this catagory. I have never shot any organized competition but I like to load and shoot like I do. Good idea Rich!

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS, I was not nixing your forum suggestions, just asking the difference.
Perhaps a rewording of the name of the Benchrest forum to include precision/accuracy topics, such as P. D. Hunting rifles. Then we start posting!

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I'd likely have darn little to contribute, but would be an avid reader...I have much to learn.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote yes. I just don't have the "stuff" that bench rest guys do, but still am interested in accuracy techniques and practices. I've learned a lot from the extreme accuracy people but just can't seem to do that level of detail.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Why not start a thread on the topic and see how that goes.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
My true passion, that caused me to move here from the St Louis area; is killing Rockchucks from zipcode to zipcode...

Accuracy and Precision are means to that end.

Boy do I get the varmint thingy! My passion is ground squirrels here, to your left, in O'gan!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the reason I ask, where would you post the following topics:

1. AIU has been testing his new LabRadar. Want his findings?

2. My build of a 6.5-284 with a custom tight-neck reamer from JGS that Bartlein is building for me.

2B. The fact that the barrel will have a gain twist, and a Kenyon trigger.

3. Some of the things Brian Litz is doing.

4. Balance Beam Scales VS electronic. What brand of electronic scale is the most accurate and/or consistent. I am beginning to think the number of medium to large scale drug dealers place of business that gets raided might be the best way to find out.

5. The equipment lists at the 600 to 1000 yard competition might be of interest. Find out what guys who shoot in the 5"-6" range for 5-shots are are basing builds on. If 19 out of the Top 20 at a nationals shoot are using the same action, and I am considering a build, I want to know what the 19 are using, not the 1.

I note that this is called the Accurate Reloading Forum, not the Big Game/DG Hunting website.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Post all of that here

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point, Ted. However, things get off topic in both, and bits and pieces of useful information/data get posted in about a dozen areas here.

I doubt there are a hundred people here who know who Harold Vaughn, Mike Ratigan, or Robert McCoy are; or what they have done, or why it matters.
I would expect there are even fewer who can define Standard Deviation, and how it differs from Extreme Spread.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I like the idea!

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I didn't comment earlier but my thoughts when the Long Range board started was that we had a Target and Bench rest board. I was one of the ones who suggested the Target board for Service Rifle shooters way back when. Bench rest got tacked on but I think we have more Bench rest shooters here than Service Rifle shooters.

I think that there could be a place for a Precision Reloading but it might loose participation to Reloading just because most shooters reload to improve on factory groups.

Of course I wanted Target to be Service Rifle, in the end users will determine what the boards are.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are dead on, but long range rifle accuracy is not in demand here.
Hitting a Rockchuck past half a mile is the ultimate challenge to my way of thinking. The target moves, sits down, stands up, and usually does not give you the time to range, adjust the scope, etc, like target shooting does. For me it would be great practice for the Rockchucks.

BUT: if you like the idea, please submit a request to Saeed...