New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graphite Powder As A Neck Lube?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello Members: I have seen references to using graphite powder as a neck lubricant prior to resizing - it supposedly eliminates the need to wipe the lube out of the neck afterwards. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this technique? Thanks.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used Mica, worked OK. Now I prefer to use Lee Collet dies if I can - eliminating the need to lube at all. - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Been using graphite powder for 30yrs, cheap and it works never had a problem....Les

Posts: 115 | Location: Vic Australia | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I took an empty plastic 35mm film canister, put in BBs and graphite, shook the H*** out of it and now use it as a neck lube. Did have a problem with the BBs within small necks, so got some finer iron shot from a friend who loads it. Now all is well.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I replaced the neck expander ball on my Redding resizing die with a carbide ball and eliminated the need to lub the neck. Check out Sinclair or Midway catalog for more detail. I believe the carbide neck sizing ball cost between $15 and $20. Well worth the price!

Before replacing the neck expander ball, I used to lub the inside neck with One-Shot case lub using a small paint brush.

Posts: 26 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote