THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    125grn Sierra .308" Pro hunter, what have you killed with these?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

125grn Sierra .308" Pro hunter, what have you killed with these?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an AR15 cartridge that launches these at a hair over 2600fps.

My question for those of you whose used this bullet on game is if you feel my MV is high enough to get over this bullet's minimum velocity threshold for expansion on whitetail out to 200yds and maybe a tad more?

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOBODY??

OH well, I guess I'll just see if I can turn a deer into a Guinea Pig

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
At 2600 fps MV, yes, it will expand to 200 yards and will do fine on deer out to that range. At this modest velocity, you'll get textbook expansion and excellent penetration.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Krochus, Sorry you didn't get a whole lot of help on this one. I too load for the 7.62x39 and have found the 125 Sierra to shoot amazingly well. I think I have told you this before, but Sierra says the .308 125gr PH is designed for very high velocities and will just pencil through at x39 velocities, but I have not tested it on game.

I am very curious as well, if you shoot one this fall with the 125, please post your findings.

Me, this year I am shooting 135gr Sierra SSP with 29gr of H322. Sure wish Sierra still made this one. I only have about 500 left.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This post is in refrence to my 30HRT upper, as noted I can move these out at over 2600 fps which for the most part betters my top x39 load by about 200fps. I don't think I'd be using this bullet to hunt if I were using my 7.62x39 upper.

and yes these bullets are staggeringly good shooters

Waylon Jennings

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reloaded some of these for a friend several years ago. This was loaded in a 308 Win and loaded down a bit for him. He killed a 135 pound buck with it. It expanded properly and was recovered under the hide on the off side. Not bad for a quartering shot at 180 yards.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some of these in a reduced .308 deer load for my son, but he ended up using a different rifle and never shot anything with them. One day earlier this year when I was doing a bullet expansion and penetration test in wet newsprint, I shot a couple of them for giggles, and was very impressed. I posted it up here on AR somewhere, but dont remember where. Let me see if I can find it and I will link it here. I found it, here it is.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...461004601#9461004601

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Dakota Bones
posted Hide Post
Hi Krouchus. I have used the 125 pro-hunter in both 3006 at 3150fps and in my 308 at about 2900. It has taken every deer I shot with it, about 5 I would say . one was a four point at about 250, fell like a rock. In the 308 it will put 10 rounds in a one inch group at 100yd. Good bullet.

Posts: 7 | Location: North Dakota, Devils Lake | Registered: 21 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not one to use a less than good bullet on deer. I hunt for meat and excess damage is wasteful.

The ProHunter has a good reputation, and driven at 2600 fps it should work pretty well.

See what happens. If you get too much damage then you go to a 150 gr bullet.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
never used the 125 grain but the 165 grains are real nasty on deer.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckeyeshooter,

are you really refering to the Prohunter flatbase? Or was your experience with a Gameking?

I find the Prohunter to be harder and more stable than the Gameking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 125's I used were Pro Hunters, not Game Kings. I would think a boat tail on a bullet that short wouldn't leave much bearing surface.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Mcfox,
I have used both. The prohunters are harder, but will tear up a whitetail pretty good from a 30-06 inside 100 yards. The gameking SBT's leave about a softball sized exit when you shoot a whitetail through both shoulders. They are very soft. I do like them though as the area I hunt is very, very thick and a 100 yard run with a light bloodtrail can make for a hard time finding the game. These bullets generally give you a 'snowplow' or a bloodtrail like a 5 gallon bucket of paint poured out through the woods.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used that bullet in my .30-30. I have had no trouble dropping chest-shot deer. Always a pass through.

This turns my marlin into a two shooter. One in the chamber/one in the magazine.

Posts: 7 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have whacked a lot of runnung boar on our target range with that bullet from a 30/06, loaded with 33 grain Vihta N110 to ~800 m/s.

Allows me to shoot a lot with the rifle for driven hunts, little heating and low recoil.

Also way less expensive than the partitions that I regularily shoot.

At 60 meters the POI of both loads are close enough for practice purposes.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear that the prohunter is a pretty
tough bullet as I have switched to 120 gr
in my 7mm rem mag to reduce recoil and am
getting about 3400 fps at max load and
about 3320 fps just under the max. I had sort
of decided to avoid the shoulders as I dont
like to ruin the meat and wasnt going to really
mind if they blew up while shooting through
the ribs. Actually hope that they do blow up
to minimize the tracking. I also never heard
that the game-kings were softer than the pro-hunters. That really surprises me and
I am still not sure if I believe it. IS that
consistent with Sierra claims ?

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
This is all very interesting to me as my new toy is a Remington 799 in the 7.62x39 caliber. I intend to push the 125 - 130 grain bullets as fast as possible and use it for a coyote gun and teaching the young ones in my house who are interested in hunting.

Here in Missouruh there don't seem to be shots over 250 yards so my only concern is if the bullet will open up an the mild velocities.

So... I don't mean to hijack the thread but any experiences with other than Sierra bullets?

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So... I don't mean to hijack the thread but any experiences with other than Sierra bullets?

ask and ye shall receive

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=405210

One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Krochus,

We are brothers at heart! clap

I'm just north of you and hunting the same deer. Nice looking pile of meat you have there in the pic.

The longest shots I'll take will be around 215 yards and that depends on the tree stand used. I hadn't thought about the Nosler either.

Once I get my reloading room finished it's apparently time for some reading.

Thanks again

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote