New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I ship primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to mail some primers to a friend of mine. I went to the post office this morning, and they said I needed to get an ORM-D sticker before they would ship it (they don’t provide or sell them). I looked online, and it looks like the rules changed as of 1-1-2021, but the new rules are clear as mudd. BTW, I can’t find ORM-D stickers anywhere but AMAZON anyway. Can someone please clear this up (explain the correct process) for me. My local post office is clueless, and they admitted as much. Thanks

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert, but I think he is wrong; small arms primers are not ORM-D; they are Explosives (a much higher category) and can't be mailed. He is referring to small arms ammo, or primed brass.
Those can be shipped UPS, for sure, simply by writing on the box, ORM-D; no sticker needed,
But mailing them US Mail? I think it is not allowed.
And from UPS; you have to be a certified shipper.
I ship ammo, primed brass, via UPS. I never ship primers.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I am not an expert, but I think he is wrong; small arms primers are not ORM-D; they are Explosives (a much higher category) and can't be mailed. He is referring to small arms ammo, or primed brass.
Those can be shipped UPS, for sure, simply by writing on the box, ORM-D; no sticker needed,
But mailing them US Mail? I think it is not allowed.
And from UPS; you have to be a certified shipper.
I ship ammo, primed brass, via UPS. I never ship primers.

Thanks for the advice. I had a friend tell me he has just shipped them in a flat rate box, and didn’t mention to USPS what they are. Given the political climate and the potential fines involved, will never be trying that!

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert either, but I'm expert enough to know that primers can not be legally shipped using the USPS.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Primers can not be shipped by any carrier unless you have the proper license and government mandated training. They are definitely not the same as ammo

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised (I know I shouldn’t be) at how ill informed the folks at my local post office are. I’m glad I checked into this further. Thanks again to all.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You have to certify that your package contains nothing: Liquid, hazardous, flammable, perishable, perfume, mercury, or lithium batteries. Lie about that and have something happen; I would not want to be that guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You have to certify that your package contains nothing: Liquid, hazardous, flammable, perishable, perfume, mercury, or lithium batteries. Lie about that and have something happen; I would not want to be that guy.

You will instantly become a domestic terrorist.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
And then we have to deal with the UPS counter guy who doesn't know the law. I recently went into the UPS store to send a couple of boxes of 9mm to my cousin as I knew you can't do that via USPS. The dimwit told me that they could not ship ammo from a UPS store, I would have to call the main depot + have a driver pick it up. So I asked him how I was supposed to pay the driver. He had no answer, only the mantra that I couldn't ship from the UPS store. IDIOTS!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The UPS franchise 'stores' in the strip malls by contract cannot ship any firearm parts, ammo, or items. Not even a scope. You have to go to the UPS hub location.

And shipping primers is a big no-no as they are considered an explosive (like gunpowder) and you have to be a certified/known shipper; like Powder Valley or Midway.

I personally don't want to roll the dice and try doing it on the down-low as if detected/caught you will be charged federally and the Federal Court System is a real meat grinder and whatever legal fees are for State Courts you can multiply that by about 3 (or 4 or 5).They will make an example of you 'pour encourager les autres'

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ORM D is no longer a valid marking for small arms ammo.

Here is change.

https://www.lion.com/Lion-News...-D-Ends-Dec-31,-2020

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is interesting. UPS did not require a sticker before; you just hand wrote ORM-D on the box. I will ask them what to do now. Just for ammo though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you would read the link you well see what the new requirement is.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are only making a one-time shipment you might contact your local gun store. They might ship it for you. Then you just pay them.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes they can but they have to follow the rules too, so we need to know what the rules are. Thanks for the link P-dog but it was clear as mud, as most things in Government speak.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Fascinating how rules have changed, and achieved absolutely nothing.

Many years ago, people travelled internationally with primers, powder, bullets and even rifles in their luggage.

No questions were asked.

No problem ever occurred!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always had to go to the UPS main depot to ship ammo. The counter guy gave me a roll off ORM-D stickers. Now their no good, damn. UPS may have the new stickers.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
If you are only making a one-time shipment you might contact your local gun store. They might ship it for you. Then you just pay them.
"Your local gun store" won't have a permit as a hazmat shipper and will have no more idea how to ship primers than you do. They, just as you, can receive primers, powder, and other "hazardous materials" by common carrier, but not ship them.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPS gave me a hand full of the new stickers for small arms shipments..

You can't ship primers as far as I know, its an explosive..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
If he is a good friend, have him mail you his brass, you prime it, ship it back.

Shipping primed brass is the same as shipping loaded ammo IIRC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
If he is a good friend, have him mail you his brass, you prime it, ship it back.

Shipping primed brass is the same as shipping loaded ammo IIRC.

Now, that’s a good idea!

Matt
FISH!!