New
Find
Notify
Tools

My three favorite reloading tools
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
1: Lyman 55 powder thrower, and, when doing 500 jeffe-ry, the 1000 CC powder tube

2: RCBS supreme reloading press

3: APC benchmounted priming tool. THIS THING ROCKS!!

I bought an apc awhile ago, and just this morning got the round-tuit for trying it out... DAMN!!! primers too low? adjust it with ONE stud... Too high? (you guys loading 500 jeffe-ry know this, as the 416 rigby groove is too thick) one adjustment with the same screw.

I just loaded 50 primers into 2 strips, set the depth adjustment, and in less time, total, than i could do it with the hand press, I had 50 376 steyrs primed.

and, since I have a touch of arthritis in my hands, no struggle!!!

jeffe

Posts: 39624 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ohaus du-o-measure, bonanza co-ax press, lyman multi-expand die with all the expanders.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I thought this would generate alot more posts...

lots of nodding out there in internet land?

Jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is going to throw the cat among the pigeons. How about:

1.) Lee Autoprime
2.) Lee Factory Crimp die
3.) Lee Collet sizing die

I *DO* have other great stuff from other manufacturers, too!

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1 can of skoal straight
2 cup of coffee
3 can of beer

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rikkie,
I haven't used the lee autoprime,or the collet sizer but the factory crimp I REALLY like, when it's fit the calibers I like... it stops at 458.

j

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
The Lee autoprime and the collet dies are hard to beat! The Lyman 55 powder measure is also my favorite!

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forster Co-Ax press
Lee Collet Die
Forster Ultra Seaters
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favourite three reloading tools are as follows. 1- My 2 Lyman autoscales plus the new digital combination dispensor and scale, considering the combination of them as my powder measuring tool. 2- My Lyman case prep tool that either preps the case neck or primer pockets, also doubles as a screw driver. 3- My RCBS Rock Chucker Press. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only THREE?

1. K&M hand primer with seating depth dial readout
2. Harrell premium powder measure
3. Redding bushing dies and competition seaters.

Anybody for starting a thread on your favorite TEN tools?
Rosse

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
1.) Lee Autoprime
2.) Lee Case Length trim gauge
3.) Lee Collet sizing die

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is a collet die and what's the difference between the Forster Ultra seater and a regular seating die? Thanks.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post

Sinclair concentricity gauge
Redding T-7 turret press
Forster sizing and seating dies

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What is a collet die and what's the difference between the Forster Ultra seater and a regular seating die? Thanks.

There are a ton of discussions about the Lee Collet die in here - use search facility for more info. Briefly: it is a necksizing die, requires no case lubing, produces very little runout, low cost.

Forster Ultra seating die is a seater of basically the same quality as a Redding Competition seater, but at a considerably lower cost. See this URL for some sales blurp: Forster Dies

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso: I have been teaching myself how to reload Rifle ammunition for 44 years now. I started these lessons when I was 12 years old. So I have to chip in here with my 3 favorite reloading tools!

#1: Sinclair Bullet Seating Depth Tool (cost me $17.00 years ago and has saved me countless hours of work, headaches and certainly a minimum of one thousand dollars in wasted bullets, powder, primers and barrel life!) My single best ever reloading accessory purchase without question!

#2: Wilson Case Trimmer Tool. No trimming product on the market even comes close to the performance, consistency and ease of use of this inexpensive accessory!

#3: My 1950's vintage RCBS A-2 loading press. Its massive, precisely built, easy to use (effortless) and produces very concentric and consistent ammunition. I got this press about 15 years ago for a pittance ($25.00 with dies!) and all my other press's now lie under my loading bench collecting dust.

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

PS: #4: Would be of course the wonderful and very inexpensive Lee Auto Priming Tool. I have two of these tools real handy on my loading bench. One set up for Large Rifle Primers and one set up for Small Rifle Primers. I also keep a bunch of internal spare parts for them in stock. They get used so much I literally wear the innards out and need to replace them every three or four years.

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, mainly because it was the first piece of equipment I bought, RCBS rock chucker press
My second is my RCBS trim mate, (alot more handy than I expected)
and third is my Redding profile crimp dies. They are outstanding, by far the best pistol crimp dies i've ever used

Posts: 66 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
B&M powder measure
Forster case trimmer
Lee Aotoprime

Posts: 17 | Location: Laurel Mtns. | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1)Lee's new Classic Cast press (super press)
2)Collet sizing dies
3)Pact digital scale

If you haven't tried the new Lee press, you're in for a big surprise. It is of a MUCH higher design integrity than anything Lee has made before (and I liked some of the other presses they make). It has the most sensitive priming system of any press I've ever used. It is strong as all get out, and has positive stops. At around $50 it's a deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Lyman VLD inside neck tool.
2. Lyman flash hole deburring tool (you'd be amazed at the difference case to case).
3. Toss up between lee collet dies and lee case length gauge/trimmer.

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.)Lee powder dippers
2.)Lee hand primer
3.)Lee factory crimp

I'm not a Lee affectionado, but these tools really
make sense

Posts: 51 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My three favorite reloading products? Wow! Well number one is easy - any of my Wilson NS bushing
reloading dies. God but I love those dies. Two would probably be my Redding weigh scale. Had it for
25 years and it's still right on the money. Three would be my B-Square Concentricity guage and neck
thickness guage. That's also an old timer but works exceptionally well. I'm going to throw in a fourth
because I use it so much with number three, and that's my Mitutoyo 6" calipher. There I think I've covered
it all. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

1. AMT Autoscale - takes a lot of the tedium out of weighing charges of extruded powder.

2. Hart benchrest - I wasted a lot of time and money testing ammo using lesser rests. I get much more consistent results so I can more easily tell how well the loads perform.

3. The original Lee hand priming tool - I have 5 or 6 of the old original screw in shell holder priming tools. I paid $2.50 for the first one when there were no other hand priming tools on the market. I feel that seating primers with a good hand tool contributes to accuracy. However I have no proof of this since I have not used a press to prime a case in the last 32 years.
Ed

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
...RCBS benchmount Auto Prime System
...Lyman 55 Powder measure
...RCBS Rock Chucker

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS Powder dispenser/scale combination
RCBS APS Bench mounted Primer tool
Lee Collet dies

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) RL 450(now the 550) Yes, it's that old.
2) CO-AX
3) Wilson case trimmer

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote