New
Find
Notify
Tools

OAL Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have purchased a 5/16x36 die to thread my own cases as needed, has anyone threaded their own and how have your results been. I used a 19/64 drill but I believe a 9/32 would result in deeper threads. Opinions are experience from anyone appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
What?

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you have is called a tap.

Use a smaller drill like the 9/32 because most drills will cut oversize.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What in hell are you guys talking about? Threading cases? For what?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What in hell are you guys talking about? Threading cases? For what?

He is wanting to drill and tap his cases to fit on an OAL tool.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer2506:
I have purchased a 5/16x36 die to thread my own cases as needed, has anyone threaded their own and how have your results been. I used a 19/64 drill but I believe a 9/32 would result in deeper threads. Opinions are experience from anyone appreciated.

Where did you buy the 5/16" 36 tpi tap? I would like to purchase one too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hammer 25/06, I choose to drill the flash hole and primer pocket out to 3/8 inch on case heads that will not pass out with the shock of .375" hole drilled into the head of the case.

I have the Hornady/Sinclair maximum overall chamber length tool, I ALSO HAVE MODIFIED CASES THAT ARE THREADED, but I am the fan of transfers and standards, I want all the bullet hold I can get. I use a cleaning rod or dowel to push the bullet out of the case until it hits the lands, I then stop and save the modified case to adjust my seating die.

If you were talking about the seating die and I choose to go to the trouble of changing the stem I would use 20 or 40 threads per inch. It is easier to keep with measurements that match threads on a micrometer.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Replay to SR4759, I know its a tap, why I said die beats me been under the weather for the past week with the flu wasn't thinking 100%

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done several cases.
I use fire formed cases to more closely fit my chambers.
Had good results so far.
Cut threads slowly.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
That size tap is hard to find. Can someone give me a source to buy one?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered mine through motion industries.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I got mine so long ago I can't remember the supplier. But pretty sure I googled to find one. As I recall it was a little expensive.
Try this site.
http://www.drillsandcutters.com

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muck:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I got mine so long ago I can't remember the supplier. But pretty sure I googled to find one. As I recall it was a little expensive.
Try this site.
http://www.drillsandcutters.com

muck

Ordered one from here...Thank you!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Kambaku
posted Hide Post
I have made a lot of my own modified cases from fired brass in my various rifles. The correct tap size as others have stated is 5/16 x 36. The correct drill size depending on fractional equivalent or letter size can be found on standard tap/drill charts easily found on the web. These taps can be hard to locate but I just did a quick search on google and turned up a bunch of them, Amazon is one source.

The key, and I'll repeat this the key is drilling and tapping the brass straight. I put my cases in the appropriately sized L.E. Wilson case holders that I use for my Sinclair trimmer. This worked just great when all set on the milling machine. A standard drill press often has enough run out that prevents good straight tapping. If the cases slip a little in the case holders a little rosin helps.

Posts: 60 | Location: Indianapolis, only because that's where the check came from! | Registered: 21 December 2012Reply With Quote