New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee factory crimp die
 Login/Join

<Sawblade>
posted
I seem to see a lot of people praising this die. Do most of you use it? Do you see a difference in performance? Is it a benefit on all calibers or only some. I'm not looking for bencrest accuracy, I only want my hunting loads to shoot under 1". Would it be worth my time to try this die?

Thanks,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sawblade,

Use it in:

458 Win
45-70
375 H&H
358 Win
338 Win mag
300 Win Mag

Best $10.00 investment you can make.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use it. It works, well. I've never run any accuracy or velocity-consistency comparisons.

.308 Win, .416 Rigby.

[ 07-17-2002, 17:13: Message edited by: Recono ]

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Sawblade>
posted
Shadow,
That's the kind of info I was looking for. You seem to indicate that it is best used in larger calibers. I have none of those, only smaller stuff like .308, 7mm-08, 6.5 swede. Was just curious to know if it would benefit me given my particular bore sizes.

<GAHUNTER>
posted
OK Guys,

I've been roll crimping my 404 Jerrery loads with the seater die. Are you telling me that the Lee die will do a better job of crimping this round? Does one size fit all or is it caliber specific?

Obviously I don't know anything about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee Factory Crimp Die is caliber-specific; you need to buy a different die for each caliber you wish to crimp. I think it does a better crimping job than the roll crimp that is achieved when you crimp using the standard bullet seating die that comes with 2-die bottleneck cartridge loading sets.

You'll need to check your specific gun and load -- crimp some loads and do not crimp some others, keeping all else the same -- to see whether crimping improves accuracy for your gun and load. My experience suggests that crimping does improve accuracy sometimes, and that this is true for smaller calibers such as the .270 or 6mm, in addition to the larger ones.

You can look at Saeed's FAQ pages too -- he did tests to see whether crimping improves accuracy, and his tests indicate that it did in most instances.

[ 07-18-2002, 08:02: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For loads WHICH MUST BE CRIMPED for some reason (tubular magazine, some automatics, very heavy bullets in heavy-recoiling rifles) the Lee die is superior to most.

On the other hand, I doubt that you will ever see an improvement in accuracy by crimping rounds that don't require a crimp.

If you are currently seating and crimping in one operation with a conventional die QUIT IT RIGHT NOW! I can't think of anything more ruinous to accuracy than shoving a bullet deeper into the case mouth while simultaneously squeezing the case mouth against it. This unavoidably creates a scar on the bearing surface of the bullet, a stressed area in the jacket, and shaved off jacket material, at best, and at worst can cause a severe abberation in concentricity.

ALWAYS back your seating die off of the shellholder enough that the crimping constrictor doesn't bear against the case mouth when seating the bullet to final depth. Then, if you must crimp, back off the seating stem so that it no longer contacts the bullet, lower the die body to the proper depth and run your cartridges with seated bullet into the die in a second operation to crimp. A second operation is where you would substitute the Lee die for your seating die.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I use it for the following and I'm ordering one for one of my wildcats (.35/444). I love them.

.45 Colt
.444 Marlin
.416 Remington Magnum
.375 H&H Magnum
.35 Remington
.303 British
.308 Winchester

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one in:

.30-06
9 mm
.44 Mag
.45 ACP

I will try as soon as possible ( already have the die, but no time ) .45-70

I am about ordering one in 9.3x62.

I sometimes have bad dreams about Lee don�t making them anymore. On at least one waking up, I seriously thought about ordering about 1/3 of their list, as these chamberings might interest me. I thought of course about ordering their case lenght gauges at the same time. When the voices in my head started discussing about which custom chamberings ...

Honestly best 10 or 25$ investment. If you don�t have one, buy one.

H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I'd never used the Lee Factory Crimp, but had heard all the hype for years. It's main claim to fame is not in holding bullets for recol, but greater accuracy via "even," "consistant" pressure holding each bullet (me thinks). I decided to run a test with my 338-06. I ran a LOT of handloads without it, then ran the same handloads WITH it. Without exception, I noticed an increase in accuracy with all loads... I'm a convert!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee crimp die has increased the accuracy and consistancy of all the calibers that I have one for.
They are:
.22-250
6mm
.30-06
.338 Win
.416 Dakota
.450AK
Lee will custom make a die for your wildcat as long as the case is .580" or smaller when measured .2" above the rim. The cost is $25.00, 4 weeks and 1 inert case with bullet seated in it.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at purcahsing a 45-70 in the next few months (hopefully)and have heard all the claims about the LEE crimp die. My questions are these. I use a Dillon RL550B and wonder how I could use this die without purchasing a single stage press or removing one of the dies? Is it possible to replace the Crimp die from say redding with the Lee at stage Four(crimp stage)? I would assume so, but is the Lee any better than the Redding Crimp die? Haven't used either but these are the likely candidates. Should I maybe consider the Lee 45-70 Die set altogether? I hear goo things about Lee, but their products always look "cheap" to me. Thanks for the thoughts.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I would never recommend Lee dies over Redding. Always get the best loading dies you can. However, nobody seems to build a crimp die that works like the Lee die. So here Lee is in a class by itself. They've got a simple, clever idea and use it.

With a Dillon or any other progressive press, if you have a free 4th station for crimp, sure you can use the Lee die. The Lee Factory Crimp die is a worthwhile purchase.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the Lee Factory Crimp die,your load devolpment can be independent of seating depth,this very good if your load has to fit other rifles.I changed seating depth a lot in a test,same load,both crimped,it went from 3/4" to 7/8".It is rough on their press toggle links [Big Grin]

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
458 Lott
416 Rigby
375 H&H
35 Whelen
30-06
7-08
270 Win

I'm a Lee believer! Most of my dies are Redding (by choice) and RCBS when I couldn't find a Redding. The Lee Crimping Dies is virtually fool proof. Consistant case length is not critical with the Lee as it is with the other roll crimping dies. Crush a few hard to find cases and you will go runnning to the Lee.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Sawblade one of the best Crimp Die you can buy

<Mats>
posted
Chamberings tried so far:

6.5x55 (of course)
.30-06
8x57
7x57
.22 Hornet
9x19
.45 Colt
.44 Mag
.44 Spl

I probably forgot one or two... The Lee FCD is the cat's meow. Loads shoot great, velocities are even - I've yet to see it hurt accuracy, although some loads (that already shot superb) did not improve. It does raise velocity a bit compared to most other crimp dies.

But the most important thing I can say to convince you is to look at all these posts. Not one single derogatory comment.

-- Mats

<eldeguello>
posted
Speaking of loading for RIFLES. Basically, another brilliant solution to a mostly non-existent problem. As mentioned above, it does a good job in those FEW instances where crimping cannot be avoided. But, to claim that, as a general rule, "crimping improves accuracy", a claim which is made to sell more dies, is irresponsible to say the least. ANYTHING you do which has the potential to change the way a bullet comes from its' manufacturer is also a potential THREAT to accuracy!! [Mad]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the LEE crimp die in seven different calibers, it helped consistency and accuracy in four of the seven. The other three it made NO difference or I had slightly WORSE accuracy. Only one rifle really prefers the LEE crimp procedure and thats a M70 in .375 H&H. In the rest of them the difference is so small that in a field situation its really negligible.

I think its worth trying though. In my .375 it gave me much more consistent velocity and improved the accuracy by about 25%. Not earthshattering but worth $10 and one more loading step.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote