New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here goes.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a box of Barnes Triple-shock bullets (100 gr) in 257 caliber today. My intention is to find a nice, accurate deer/antelope load for my Remington 700 in 257 Roberts. Powders I have on hand include h4831, h4350, varget, RE 19 and Re 22. Any tips as to where to start?

Thanks,

Super Bon Bon

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
At your reloading bench, of course jump

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I believe all those powders have the potential to be good in the .257. however, I'd favor trying both RE 19 and RE 22, as they seem to take up less space in the case, and burn slow enough to permit high velocities without excess pressures.

I use RE 22 in my 7X57mm rifles with 175-grain bullets, and get some performance from it that has to be chronographed to be believed......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Actually I would use H-414...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Of what you have listed RL19, H4350&H4831, then ?

My best 100gr load for accuracy is with IMR4350 in my Roberts. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote