THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    I have finally narrowed my choices down to these two presses

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have finally narrowed my choices down to these two presses
 Login/Join

<Embalmer>
posted
I am thinking of either getting the RCBS Master reloaders kit for under $300 or just going all out and starting with the top of the line and going with the Forester Co-Ax.

But with the Co-Ax I would still need everything else to go along with the press. And since I still am not sure at to what exactly it is that I will need it is hard for me to get an idea on the total cost for going with the Co-Ax.

Can someone list the main things I will need along with the Co-Ax press to get me started? That way I can start shopping and get a total amount so I can make a more informed decision. Also if you do make a list could you recomend the best brands of each of the parts so I know what is best to start with?

Thanks for all the help

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with the RCBS master kit infact I am still using it for all my loading with great succes it is a pleasure to use and RCBS's stuff is of great quality. It has the basics in it ot make good quality ammo from scratch. IMHO you will not go wrong with this kit.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Embalmer
I've been using a Co-ax for twenty years and plan on getting a second one. Getting lazy and don't like going thru the set up process for switching between 30-06 based cases and 45-70 rimmed cases.
What you'll need is;
the dies, of course,
case lube, I've not been real thrilled with the spray lubes so I use STP,
primer pocket cleaner, cleans out the residue left by fired primer,
case trimmer, Lee's trimmer works OK but is hard on the fingers,
powder measure,
powder scale,
powder funnel,
I'm sure I've overlooked something but that will give you a start.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started with the RCBS kit 15 years ago and found it to be fine. It will include all the little things you need, except for a trimmer and tumbler.

The RockChucker is one stout press, all cast iron construction, with enough leverage to do anything But 50 cal.

You can see photos of most of the stuff on my reloading site:

My Reloading Site

Steve

Posts: 9 | Location: Cent PA | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Embalmer
I believe you answered your own question in the first sentence.You believe, as many of us do, that the Co-ax is the best.Although I started with RCBS and it works fine (as have my Dillons,Lees,Hornady and others) you will be happier with the Co-ax if you are going to load for precision not for high volume. You will probably own your first press for the rest of your life,start with the best. In hindsight I also wish I had also always bought upgraded dies (any brand of "benchrest" or "match")

Just my opinion
Guy

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Embalmer:
I am thinking of either getting the RCBS Master reloaders kit for under $300 or just going all out and starting with the top of the line and going with the Forester Co-Ax.

But with the Co-Ax I would still need everything else to go along with the press. And since I still am not sure at to what exactly it is that I will need it is hard for me to get an idea on the total cost for going with the Co-Ax.

Can someone list the main things I will need along with the Co-Ax press to get me started? That way I can start shopping and get a total amount so I can make a more informed decision. Also if you do make a list could you recomend the best brands of each of the parts so I know what is best to start with?

Thanks for all the help

Powder measure....Redding BR 3 or 30,RCBS with micrometer insert........lube for cases. imperial sizing wax for single lube,lube pad and pad lube for mulitple at a time and Hornady one shot for spray...I don't use spray.....case trimmer and a good steel dial caliper to measure with.....RCBS new Trim pro works well, Forster does more and has good collet system.....cartridge loading blocks....the nylon/poly type Sinclair heavy duty are thicker and hold cases steady and durrable.....deburr tool...any but the Sinclair holder holds Wilson and others to use with a power screwdriver and saves time and fingers....powder trickler...Redding,the new one is heavy and sits well....powder funnel...Midway has one with drop tube and inserts for different case diameters.....The Forster Co-ax press won't handle the newer competition straight line type seating dies in long calibers due to above press top height of these dies...check before ordering the press or dies once you decide on press....good scales....RCBS 5-10 mechanical balance beam......I have the electronic one also and it is fast and great but fragile and expensive..Pact makes both theirs and RCBS I think.....primer pocket uniformers and flashhole uniformers if accuracy rifle type loading is the plan...again Sinclairintl.com has good uniformers and flashhole tools but the RCBS type flashhole tool works better under power.......Load LOG BOOK.....Midway/sinclair and others..just keep the records on the loads and guns.....Loading manuals...Hornady,Hodgdon,Speer.....most are good and many have free download sites but a couple of hold in the hand manuals is nice......Primer flipper....RCBS..any.....Haven't tried the new APS loader and system.....Stoney point comparator and seating depth tool.......I'm sure I've forgotten something and the example may not be the "best" for all uses but is good sturdy dependable equipment that I have had good service and used...good luck and good shooting/loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll need a set of calipers,dial or digital,with either RCBS Kit or Forster press.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Or you could buy the RCBS kit, sell the press on ebay. The press should bring close to 75-85.00, add 120.00 for the co-ax. You will like changing dies without un-screwing them. Not to mention the 20.00 or so you will save on shell holders, depending on what cal. you have

[ 03-18-2003, 02:04: Message edited by: gsp ]

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post

[ 03-18-2003, 01:52: Message edited by: gsp ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Embalmer
A book called "The ABC's of Reloading" by Dean Grennell printed by DBI books last I looked. This book has no reload data in it so many people pass it by, it is just filled with info on how to not make common mistakes and how to get set up.
Guy

[ 03-18-2003, 10:23: Message edited by: Guy Morrison ]

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For everything but the Nitro Express ctgs, and the long range loads for my Palma rifle,I use the Bonanza co-ax, it loads very concentric anmmo and is a joy to use.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is off topic, but...

Wouldn't it be great if all of Embalmer's wall mounts were wearing little black suits and ties? [Big Grin]

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Most of this has been posted before but since you are just getting started I thought I would give you my 2 cents worth on what else you will need to get Started.
Reloading Manuals- (for the Bullets you will be using and the Powder Company you will start with)
Dies
Dial Cailpers for measureing Case Lenght
Case Trimmer
Case Deburring Tool- a must after Trimming.
Powder Scale
Case Lube Pad or the Spary Lube.
Powder Tickler
Powder Measure or a set of Lee Powder Dippers/Measure

A Powder Measure although good to have isn't a Must Have.With the Lee Powder Dippers and a Good Scale you can still load.
Most Reloading Kits Have most of everthing you will need to get started,everthing else you can add Later.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Co-Ax......

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
Thanks for the help guys. The Co-Ax it is. I might as well do it right the first time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Emblmer, You made a good choice you won't be disapointed. I also use thier BR dies and love them thier again not the cheepest but I think well worth the money. Buy what you want the first it's cheeper in the long run.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigdaddytacp:
The Forster Co-ax press won't handle the newer competition straight line type seating dies in long calibers due to above press top height of these dies.

With all due respect...WRONG.

The Forster Co-Ax will handle all of the Forster dies, including the micrometer-tops. As for Redding micrometer dies, etc., that's a different story.

The question, I think, is why do all micrometer dies but Forster have to be so friggin' long? They're all doing the same thing, but one is much more efficiently designed.

Good luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote