New
Find
Notify
Tools

brass shavings on boltface
 Login/Join

<cougarhunting>
posted
my ejector pin stopped working for a couple of rounds in my remington 700lss 338 rum due to some tiny brass shavings in around the extractor pin would this mean my loads are to hot I am shooting 95 grains of reloader 22 and have gone all the way up to 100 grains of rl 22 there is know signs of case seperation but the primers were starting to flatten out a little on all my loads starting at 90 grains going up to 100 grains they werent pushing out just alittle flatter My accuracy with95 grains and a 215 sierra is pretty consistently under one inch with occasional groups at a hair over .5 inch. this is the load that I would like to stick with so I am hoping that I dont have to drop the powder also I am still on the first firing of the brass and occasionaly the firing pin is off center. all replys would be greatly appreciated.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Check the already fired cases you have - do you see where the brass is coming from? If not, you might want to remove the bolt, insert an empty case, and twist it against the boltface, looking for brass shavings.

Check to see if you have a small burr or sharp edge on your extractor that is shaving off the brass. I would also check the tip of the ejector.

You may also want to check your extracted cases for dented case mouths. I have a Remington 700 VS that has a stiff ejector spring, causing the case to be pushed against the side of the chamber during extraction. This leads to dented case mouths. A case being pushed strongly to the side of a chamber during extraction could, if the chamber was less than smooth, cause brass to be shaved.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cougarhunting, I had a similar problem with my Remington 700 a few years ago.

At first I thought it was the loads, but I'd even experience it sometimes when chambering reloaded cases. Eventually the cause was identified as a tiny burr on the ejector plunger and a bit of gunsmithing solved the problem. I'm told its not that uncommon a problem with Remington 700s.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had that problem with the shavings on my M700 300RUM as well (my ejector pin worked fine though). I attributed it pressure because I was loading hot with IMR 4350. I was also getting the telltale "shiny" marks on the stamped portion of the case. This is where I believed the shaving to be coming from. When I switched to RL-25, the problem disappeared immediately. Give the RL-25 a try. Your groups may even come in a little closer too. Mine sure did.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<cougarhunting>
posted
upon closer inspection of the brass there is a polished circle were the ejector pin is pushing hard up against the boltface I am going to check the bolt for burrs the chamber also seems to be scratching the cases quite a bit will this just go a way with a little time or should I have a smith take a look at it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
cougarhunting, this may well be a warranty-covered problem. I'd take the rifle to your nearest Remington-authorized gun shop and see if they can fix it for free.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the ejector springs wear out or get wedged in place and will cause problems that look like high pressure, but aren't. Burrs also contribute. Check out that your ejector travels freely and look for burrs as others have pointed out.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are getting "round shiny" marks on the case-head you are working at much to high a pressure level.

The shavings come from, I believe, a rough extractor...either polish or replace it.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Thats the reason, I like the sako extractors. Don't have that problem when you modify the remington bolts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
graycg,
where do you shoot around there?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cougarhunting:
upon closer inspection of the brass there is a polished circle were the ejector pin is pushing hard up against the boltface I am going to check the bolt for burrs the chamber also seems to be scratching the cases quite a bit will this just go a way with a little time or should I have a smith take a look at it.

That's a classic sign of excessive pressure and it's also where your brass shavings are coming from. The brass is being forced hack into the hole for the ejector and being sheared off when the bolt is lifted.

BACK OFF ON THOSE LOADS!

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The correct answer came from Leftoverdj. There may be other contributing factors but anytime you are getting brass flowing into the ejector pin hole you are operating with excessive pressure.. The key words above are "brass flowing" and excessive pressure.. It would be prudent to back off to the point that you are no longer getting that brass flow into the ejector pin hole.

Good shooting,
pat

one of us
posted Hide Post
rootbeer,
you have PM

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too much pressure, does the same to me in my wby accumark 7 stw when I loaded the hot-ones./ [Eek!] For got to mention that I used Rem- 7stw brass and rem- 8mm mag brass. Swithched to Win- brass and have alot less brass shavings on bolt face and it does not streach as bad either.

[ 08-16-2003, 21:13: Message edited by: 4bambam ]