New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Whitetail Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 RSI in .308 Winchester and would like to start reloading for it as I do my other calibers. I have a couple of loads I would like to try and would like your opinions on them.

Federal 210M Primer
43 gr. Hodgdon Benchmark
150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
2700 FPS

Federal 210M Primer
43 gr. IMR 4320
165 gr. Barnes X
2600 FPS

I do, however believe that the velocities would be substantially lower in the 18" barrel. Shots would be at most 300 yards on whitetails up to 150 lbs. Any thoughts?

Posts: 61 | Location: Deep Fork River Bottoms, Oklahoma | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smokin Barrel, I have shot pretty close to your 1st load--44 grains of Hogdon Benchmark and the 150 NBT in my (God forbid) browning synthetic stalker and had excellent results. Sub moa all the time with a gas gun....

I haven't shot any deer at the 300 yard mark, this particular rifle is my closer quarters deer rifle, but i have shot a couple with makeshift props i.e. the side of a pine tree, and have anchored every deer the trigger was pulled on, no more than a step or two at max, ever. I think this load and bullet in particular are a great recipe for whitetail. --Good luck and good hunting, Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ballistic tip load is straight from the Hodgdon manual & is very similar to a match load a realtive of mine shoots in an Accuracy Internation rifle build on a 700 action. Essentially it the same but his load is with 1 more grain of powder and 168 A-Maxes.

P.S. What do you mean; God forbid? Brownings are great!

Posts: 61 | Location: Deep Fork River Bottoms, Oklahoma | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried several loads in my short barreled Steyr Scout and settled on 46.0 Varget and a 165 Partition in it. I also had good luck in several other 308's with 748 and 168gr Triple-Shocks.

I like varget for it's excellent accuracy, good velocity and temperature insensitivity.
I like 748 for its excellent velocity, good accuracy and it pours like water through a powder measure.

But just about any good bullet and medium burning powder will give good results in 308..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

P.S. What do you mean; God forbid? Brownings are great!

Some here and elsewhere would have you think a serious rifleman would only shoot a Bolt (or non gas operated)rifle... I do love my 2 BARs, but my most accurate rifles are in fact bolt actions. Looking forward to using both this coming season as always. Regards--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote