New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer manual
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For rifle loads in the Speer Manual there is only a 4 grain difference between the starting load and maximum load, with a few exceptions. Why does Speer stay within a 4 grain range when other manuals have a larger one?

Posts: 47 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Because that is what they want to do...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I think Speer has about the most realistic, common sense load data manual on the market.

Nosler has its attributes, but "pie in the sky" velocity figures tend to create great expectations...

Sierra's load data is often like...

-

[Big Grin]

But Speer seems to know that there is no point in beginning lower than their suggested starting loads. Sierra would have you turn the 30-06 into a 30-30 with their starting data, and again, Nosler's velocity numbers are so unrealistic as to be totally useless for estimating velocity. Those numbers cause many to believe there is something wrong with their rifles when the chronograph has its say...

I like the Speer manual. I mean, why in the hell would anyone want to begin load development much more than 7 or 8 percent below max? I agree with Speer's philosophy. Why waste material?

Dan

[ 01-18-2003, 08:22: Message edited by: green 788 ]

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dan, I like the Speer books. Ive found their max loads to be very close to where I begin to get locking bolts and other pressure signs with some pretty good consistency. When I am able to get a litle better velocity than their book says from a given load it doesnt hurt my feelings either.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote