Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for the 338 win mag
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, new to the forum, and reloading. Working on loads for a 338 win mag. I am quite happy with 69 gr of IMR 4350, and Hornady 225sp's. Anyone have good luck with this combination?

Posts: 2 | Location: NWO | Registered: 29 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a similar load (70.5gr IMR4350 @ 2820fps MV) for many years with both the 225gr Hornady SP and the Nosler Part. They had the same POI and right around MOA accuracy.

I now use RL-19 based on an article I read in Handloader magazine back in February. I now get .5-.75" groups at 2900fps MV. I haven't compared the 2 bullets to see how they differ with this load.

Posts: 79 | Location: Northwest Atlanta | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely on the right track. I've shot IMR-4350 with 200, 225, 230 and 250gr bullets in 8 or so different 338 Win Mags. It almost always works superbly. If IMR-4350 won't shoot well in your 338 Win Mag something is usually wrong with your rifle.
There are several other excellent powders for the 338 but IMHO IMR-4350 is always the first place to start.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
70.0 gr IMR 4350 with 225 gr. Nosler AB. 2850 fps. Itty bitty groups.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm happy with imr 4350, but might try changing it up next lb. I'm interested to know if RL-19 works a little smoother with my uniflow powder measure.

Posts: 2 | Location: NWO | Registered: 29 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
R 19 has produced the best results for my Bro in Law's Browning with the 225 Hornady.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been tinkering with loads for a .338 wm Sako FinnBear that will accompany me to BC for an elk hunt in the fall.

I have LITTLE experience. Many others are more capable to comment.

The following has been my experience.

225 gr Hornady Interlock - shot well with every powder/primer combination. Best results were with 73gr RL 19 and 210 primers, 0.8 six shot group at 100 yrds chrony'd at avg of 2793 fps. A close second was 70gr of H4350 @ 2790 avg fps. Also played with RL 22 and H4831, similar velocities with slightly larger groups.

225gr Hornady Interbond. Thus far I have only used H4350 with this bullet. 70 gr gets me comparable velocity to the IL with like groups. Most likely this will be my hunting load this fall. I will know for sure when I shoot it at 300 yrds. I will also try it with RL-19 to see if things tighten up a bit like they did with the Interlocks.

I also tried the 225gr North Forks with RL19, RL22, H4350, and H4831. I would have given anything for this to be my go to load. It just didn't work out. My bore didn't get along with Mike's bullets. This is not typical. If your rifle will shoot them (and most will) I highly recommend this bullet. All accounts are devestating on game. I also found that 1-2 grains less of powder produced comparable velocity to the Hornady bullets.

My most recent foray will be with the 225gr Woodleigh. I have 100 of them coming from MidWay on Fri. I will post my results. If they group as well or better than the IL or IB, This will be my bullet for BC.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to sum up the last two + months of tinkering.

My hunting partner is probably right. I should have just stopped with the Interlock - tremendous accuracy and I'm sure more than enough for elk in NA. However, I would really like a load for my .338 that I could use for everything on the continent - including those that bight.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have played with the 338 Winchester magnum for about twenty years and it's fair to say that this calibre is a favorite of mine. Few other calibres offer such a wide bullet selection, and even fewer are so forgiving at the loading bench. As far as one particular load is concerned, I have found few that were truly unsatisfactory, and in short that's why the 338 Winchester is a favorite.

Like the others above, I have found that RL 19 and IMR 4350 are among the most useful powders in this medium bore, but I have seen IMR 4831 shine as well.

My favorite bullet is Nosler's 250 grain partition and my experience with it has been more than satisfactory. Bang-flop from bunny rabbits to elk is all anyone could ask, and the 338 Winchester provides exactly that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NWO;
The load in my .338 for moose, etc. is a 225 gr. North Fork and 73 grs. of Rldr-22. It just plays havoc on moose. On my bull this last season, it went in behind the left shoulder & we found it under the hide on the right rear quarter. It's a perfect, text book case of mushroom & weighs 217-218 grs. Try 'em, I think you'll like 'em. BTW, I do use the Hornady 225 gr. bullets for general shooting & find them accurate too but I wouldn't use 'em for big game. That's me tho. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear, does that go for both the Interlock and the Interbond? Wouldn't trust either to big game?

I agree, the NF is the balls. Unfortunately, my bore didn't like it.

I'm thinking the 225 gr Woodleigh will be a close second in terms of terminal performance. Maybe a bit more expansion and a bit less penetration than the NF. Thoughts?

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NimrodRx:
I can't address the use of the Interlocks & Interbonds on big game. I've never used them as such. For years, I've always been a Partition fan but found them to be a bit less accurate than I liked. I was looking for a more accurate, premium bullet for the .338 and came across the North Forks. After doing a lot of searching and not finding a single negative comment regarding their use, I decided to try them. For me, they are more accurate and terminal performance is as good or better than the Partition. The reason I use/play with the Hornady's is that I find they are accurate but also a lot less expensive than North Forks or Partitions and since I use a 225 gr. bullet for moose/grizzly, Hornady makes a 225 gr. bullet. Not trying to imply there aren't other good quality, top notch big game bullets out there. This is just my experience. I do have a box of Woodleigh's for the .338 but have never tried them.
Guess I'm just an old "stick in the mud" but I'm quite persnickity about my hunting bullets. I'm just of the belief that with the cost of hunting trips and short seasons, a guy should go with what he believes is the best bullet. It's cheap insurance. These are just my opinions for whatever they're worth.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only loaded one load for my 338 but it's a keeper. 70 grains of H4350 under a Barnes 210 TSX and a Federal Mag primer. Groups were 5/8 to 3/4 inch.Velocity was 2920 fps, S.D. was, If I remember right, 7 and the extreme spread was 13. I don't have my records handy but thats what I remember. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL19 and a 210 TSX works great in mine and runs approx 2930fps. This load is one of those odd loads, shoots 3/4 at 100 and virtually the same at 200 yards in my old FN. I shot a 200 yard 3-shot group that went .520 this morning with the .338 and this load topped by a 3.5-10x Conquest in Talleys. I've been shooting it a bunch as it's going to Ak this Sept. I actually haven't tried 4350 in mine, have no reason to.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone using 69 grains of RL-19 behind 250 NPs? It's an accurate load. I'm just wondering if the 2600fps in the book is close.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an update.

Got a chance to play with the Woodleigh Weldcores this week.

Winchester case
Fed 215
70gr H4350
225gr Weldcore
avg 2780 fps

Accuracy was stellar, as good as any bullet I have shot out of this rifle. I have chosen this load for my elk medicine this fall. With any luck I will be able to report back with performance on game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4350 & 4381. Both work very well in my bolt... only IMR 4350 works well in my BAR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
75.5 grns H4831sc

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote