THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Do Hard Cast projectiles lead/ ruin .44 mag marlin Barrel. Also How do they perform?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Hard Cast projectiles lead/ ruin .44 mag marlin Barrel. Also How do they perform?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanting to know if these hard cast lead projectiles of 250gr weight will ruin or lead my barrel in my 1894p .44 mag. They are asking $31.00 for 500 projectiles and it seems like cheap shooting to me.

How will they perform on game (thin skinned) and is the semi wadcutter or flatnose a better choice?.

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cast bullets well not ruin it but they might lead it up and take a bit of cleaning. If your marlin has mico grove rifling cast bullet well not shoot accurate of it any way. If you have one of the newer ones with regular rifleing no trouble just shoot them at lower vel.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

It is universally believed that lead, even the hardest commercial bullet alloys, is easier on barrels than copper/copper alloy jackets. I know of no tests to prove it, but I've never read anyone who believed else. Perhaps Ackley, Whelen, or one of the other experimenting writers of the early 20th century conducted such tests; I'd be interested if anyone can document same.

I've never shot medium game (deer/antelope) with a hard cast lead bullet. If you choose to do so, I'd suggest picking the one with the largest meplat (flat spot on the nose).

BigIron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What lower velocity's do reccomend sticking to with a 250gr hard cast?. I thought hard cast may have meant that they were harder and there fore not lead the barrel. What kind of cleaning procedure must you do to get the lead out??

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC: Post your request for 44 cast bullet info at the link below. You'll find some guys who've actually shot a micro with hard cast.

http://talk.shooters.com/room_18/topics.cfm?Room=18&st=10220102&st2=2909181&st3=4181896&User_ID=30218

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Muzzle loaders use lead ball all the time. 44 Mag. is a large diameter bullet. I shoot hard cast in my Ruger Blackhawk at 1650 fps. all the time. Yeah, ya gotta clean it. But it's cheap shooting.

I'm gettin 500 / 240 gr. Laser Cast for about $23.00 in Portland. OR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghengis what cleaning procedures do you reccomend? are they different than using jacketed bullets.?

Regards PC

------------------