THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    what are the Hornady .458 500gr soft points used for?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what are the Hornady .458 500gr soft points used for?
 Login/Join

posted
just curious. what are the hornady 500gr softpoints in .458 designed for?

if anyone has used them, what on and what were the results?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very, Very Big Game.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Jackrabbits, what else?

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shooting

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Among other things, they work quite well as 10-yard bear stoppers when loaded in a Marlin .45-70.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything you want to put a REALLY big hole in!

I've only shot them off at the range, but they are nice and accurate. I actually recovered a jacket from the limestone backstop. No lead core was found, but the jacket was mostly intact. They are pretty tough!

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coupla' years back, a friend asked me to work up a load for his .45-70 to kill hogs with. Said he was going after a BIG one. Soooo, I worked up a load for a big hog. The same bullet you mentioned.
Gave him a box and he commented on the size. He killed a roughly 400 or so pounder a month later. He said he never saw a rifle bullet knock a hog over.
Ya' reckon?

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote