THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Has anyone tried cleaning brass in a crock pot or rice cooker?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried cleaning brass in a crock pot or rice cooker?
 Login/Join

posted
I read that I should clean my brass in a vinegar, dishwasher soap and water in very hot water. I was wondering if I could use an old crock pot or rice cooker with the above mixture to clean my brass. Any ideas?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried a crock pot, but for easy, try this. Put your fired brass in a mesh type bag. Put the bag of brass in the washing machine along with a load of dark/dirtier (jeans/work type) clothes. You'll be quite impressed with the results.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Never tried a crock pot, but for easy, try this. Put your fired brass in a mesh type bag. Put the bag of brass in the washing machine along with a load of dark/dirtier (jeans/work type) clothes. You'll be quite impressed with the results.

That is interesting. My first thought was that I wouldn't want the stuff on the fired brass to get "washed into" my clothes. But I guess there is nothing too nasty in the burnt powder/priming compound.

I am curious, where did you come up with the idea?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back when before tumblers were common, I washed brass in hot soapy water to clean it before reloading. I found that laundry detergent worked pretty well. It was just one of those "I wonder what would happen if " moments, I guess. I still do it if I come across a load of nasty brass. After the washing machine treatment it's ready for the tumbler.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Never tried a crock pot, but for easy, try this. Put your fired brass in a mesh type bag. Put the bag of brass in the washing machine along with a load of dark/dirtier clothes.

My first thought was that I wouldn't want the stuff on the fired brass to get "washed into" my clothes.

But you're okay having the residue from inside your fired brass cooked into your food next time you use the ricecooker or crockpot? Buy a tumbler and run it overnight; your brass will look like new.

posted Hide Post
nordseta,
For $15, I can afford to use it just for cleaning brass. I wouldn't eat after that.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
quote:
quote:
Never tried a crock pot, but for easy, try this. Put your fired brass in a mesh type bag. Put the bag of brass in the washing machine along with a load of dark/dirtier clothes.

My first thought was that I wouldn't want the stuff on the fired brass to get "washed into" my clothes.

But you're okay having the residue from inside your fired brass cooked into your food next time you use the ricecooker or crockpot? Buy a tumbler and run it overnight; your brass will look like new.

Uhhh what? I never said anything about the crock pot method. And notice the originator of the thread made a point to say that he was looking to use an "old crock pot".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to pour hot water in a pan/bowl with brass add handdishwash and stir.New water add citric acid and stir. Wash with water after.

Or buy a ultrasoundwash for 50-70$

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Have used this tumbler for years. It was recommended by a commercial reloader. Inexpensive, turn it on and forget it.

Frankfort Arsenal Tumbler

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
quote:
quote:

But you're okay having the residue from inside your fired brass cooked into your food next time you use the ricecooker or crockpot?

Uhhh what? I never said anything about the crock pot method. And notice the originator of the thread made a point to say that he was looking to use an "old crock pot".
My bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Get a cheap plastic tub
2. add 1 gallon of boiling water
3. dump in 1 cup of washing soda(sodium carbonate)- stir
4. put a layer of perforated aluminum foil in the bottom
5. pour the brass in one layer deep
6. wait about 30 seconds, remove and drain the brass. After its dry, polish with a soft cloth.

The tarnish will move from the brass to the aluminum. Wipe the aluminum off after each batch

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote