New
Find
Notify
Tools

257magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know an easy way to get a suck case out of a resizing die? The lip on the case that the shell holder grabs completely failed, leaving the whole case in the die (probably should have used mor lub). I'm thinking about just buying another one and saving my time, but if there is something easy I can try first, I will.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
RCBS makes a stuck case removal tool. Many dealers carry them if not order one.

If you have taps you can drill the primer pocket out and run a tap in and then drive it out. I have never got one stuck so far.

It's from not enough lube near the base of the case. So next time put more near the base and then your shoulders will not get dents either.

I have seen pics of a loading block full of cases being sprayed with lube. I don't think that will get the most lube where it's needed most.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Examine a stuck case remover kit at the store, then buy it if you don't already have a drill bit and tap set.

I think the factory kit uses a 1/4" tap and bolt, but on larger cases like your belted magnum, I prefer a 5/16" tap and bolt.

First, back the decapping stem out of the die. The expander button will not pass through, but with a .257, you'll likely have plenty of room left inside the case for the removal operation.

Remove the die from the press, then, if there is room with the ram down, screw the die back into the press from the bottom side. This makes a sturdy way to hold the die while you work on it.

Now drill out your primer hole all the way through to the interior of the case with the proper size bit. Next, thread the hole by running the tap into it. Use a spacer (either the one which comes with the kit or something like a 3/4" nut) between the bottom lip of the die and the proper size bolt (with a proper-sized flat washer) which you thread into the newly-threaded primer pocket. As you screw the bolt down with a wrench, it will pull the case out.

I'm sure my description is lacking, but once you see the components of the stuck case kit its application will be obvious.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Agree with the above on the Stuck CASE Remover Kits.Also if you can't get it out send it back to the Die Maker they will either get it out for you or send you another Die.At least RCBS will/did.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote