THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Competition Dies - Are they worth it.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am boing to start loading a .338 LM to shoot some steel matches. No bench rest. RCBS has a competition die set for about half the price.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for.

Posts: 39 | Location: Austin Texas | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Buy the RCBS dies. I have a set of Redding match dies in .308 and they work fine; I think they are not as tight as others, not working the brass as much, I have a set of RCBS for my 338 Lap and I would not spend double the price for Reddings.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used RCBS dies for many many years, they work good.

Howeever if I have a choice I buy the Redding, or Bonanza, Competition dies. I especially like their Competition seating dies.

PS. The Bonanza CO-AX press is WELL worth the money, IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
REDDING they are excellent, a notch above RCBS...I HAVE BOTH

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
REDDING they are excellent, a notch above RCBS...I HAVE BOTH

Agreed. Also like the Forster dies as well and think they are top notch.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have used RCBS dies for many many years, they work good.

Howeever if I have a choice I buy the Redding, or Bonanza, Competition dies. I especially like their Competition seating dies.

PS. The Bonanza CO-AX press is WELL worth the money, IMHO.

I have a Bonanza CO-AX press and I agree on it being well worth the money.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both Redding and RCBS. The Redding dies produce cases of which 80% are .001" run-out or less. 19% are .002" or less. I can't get that result with any of my RCBS dies.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy a set of used plain vanilla dies of any of the better major brands - meaning anyone but Lee and CH.

I have dies or have owned dies by all of the major and minor brands. I have measured and compared the die interiors. There is little difference internally with most of the FL sizer dimensions. The major differences are the decapping rods and buttons.
The seater dies for the most part are uninspiring in design and manufacture.
Lee seaters and expanders tend to be terrible.

Redding and RCBS standard seaters are ok.

Forster BR and Redding BR Seaters are superb.

The RCBS competition seater is a Vickerman type with a micrometer. It is very convenient to use but I cannot say it is more precise.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote