Notify
Tools

22.250 shiny line on bottom of case
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello guys
i bought some remington ammo for the brass the other day,
fired these off so i could reload the cases.
now that ive sized them i notice that theres a shiny line
about five mil up from the ejector slot on the case.
could anybody shine some light on this, these cases were fired in my rifle.
swath

Posts: 35 | Location: Swansea,Wales | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
swath,

Does this line go around the case or is it a straight line up the case?

If it goes up the case it's from the ejection process. But I'm guessing you mean around the case. If this is the ...ugh...case....relax, it's normal. It's from the case expanding around the web region to fill your chamber. The web is where the thick metal ends and the thin metal that makes up the rest of your case starts. There is always a chance you are stretching the case too much and the case could burst, or the blast is eroding it. This will not happen until many, many firings.

In other words, no worries!!

Jim

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was starting to panick, so you dont think its gona seperate yet then.im new to reloading, and the little ive read seemed to point to head seperation.
thought those cases dont last long! haha
Jimno2506 your a gent thank you
swath

Posts: 35 | Location: Swansea,Wales | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unwind a paperclip and 'feel' inside the case. If you can feel a groove in there, then head separation is a possibility. You may be pushing the shoulder back too far forcing the case to stretch more during firing. If you are able to you may want to cut one of the cases open to make sure it is not separating. Case head separation has never happened to me, but it is serious business when it does from what i have read.

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am assuming this in once fired factory brass? if so,..then take a good close look at that ring you are seeing,..are there actually many horizontal lines which extend down the case for the entire circumference and get brighter (deeper) as they near the ejector groove? What you are probably seeing is the marks left by full length sizing dies when they are adjusted all the way to touch the shell holder of very close to it. I doubt that your once fired brass (assumption) is nearing a case head seperation but it doesn't hurt to run the paper clip test to be sure.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "expansion" ring (as JustC explained) is normal. This ring tends to be around 1-2mm across and in the area your discribing. A "pre-seperation" ring (the one you DON'T want to see) is only about the thickness of a hair, is normaly 8-10mm above the extractor groove, and often only goes 1/4-1/2 way around the case.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forum.

I suggest you buy a Wilson Head Space Gauge it will help you adjust your dies properly and avoid case seperation.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote