THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    should I reload .243 varmint rounds in 7-08 brass?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

should I reload .243 varmint rounds in 7-08 brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok here is my situation, I'm going on my first week long P-dog hunt this June. Intend to take .17hmr, 2) .223's and 2) 243's I only have 200 pieces of brass for the ,243's half winchester half federal. I intend to load 400 rounds of 75gr v-max loads for any target over 300 yards.

I have 800 pieces of new or 1x 7-08 brass If I load 400 of the 7-08 brass to .243 for this one trip (checking neck thickness) what items do I have too considered? Not taking the 08 on the trip so don't have to worry about miss chamber on the trip,...will color code sort the brass in Mtm and labeled boxes.

Could I then reload them back as 7-08 cases after the trip? draw backs for doing this? I'm sure proably would shorten case life?

Or should I just spend the money on 400 .243 cases?

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Pony up and buy the .243 brass IMHO

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the back and forth would be a PIA as well as hard on the brass. I think I'd just spring for some new brass. 'Course if it was me, I'd sell the .243 and get another .223 or a 22-250 or anything other than a .243. It's really a taint. IMO Wink

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a .243 and have never called it a taint....but your right, it is!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You neck it down the neck will be too long. So you will need to trim. Then when you neck it back up it will be short. Not to mention you would be lucky if your same load would work.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I would buy new brass. There's plenty of it and not much of an investment.

I guess my 243 is a "taint" also, because there "taint" nothing it can't do!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd leave the 243 at home, and load up more 223 brass...

the 223 is more than adequate...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies,

I was already 80% on the way of just getting the .243 brass not like it's gonna go bad or get any cheaper anyways. Already have bullets, primers and powder just need something to put it all in Wink

The guide says 200-300 shots a day? 4 day hunt I'm taking 1k rounds 17HMR, 800 rds .223 and 400 rds .243 The .243's have my best scopes on them 3-9x50 mildot zeiss, and 4-16x44 sightron SII. Need something to shoot while the .223's are cooling off and there are no targets inside 100yds for the HMR.

I'm not a spray and pray guy but not sure what to expect and like to "BE PREPARED" for anything while I'm out there.

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea on just buying the extra 243 brass.

Be sure to bring enough cleaning components to keep your p-dog shooters shootin accurately! flame

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote