Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 contender help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys

I was thinking of getting back to some pistol shooting for the summer. I have a contender in 30-30 ack imp with the 12 hunter barrel. I have not shot this combo that much and over the last couple of years I have gotten into reloading pretty deep. I was wondering about the best powder to use. I have on hand Varget, IMR4064, and IMR4320. Anyone using Varget? Also bullet selection. I was very interested in the 150g bullets, but would consider lighter ones. I was think of 150 hornady sst, 150 sierra GK and PH, 150g Nos BT. Any other recommendations? Anyone making a good 125-135 g bullet to use? I appreciate any help and good shooting this summer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra used to make a "ssp" which stood for single shot pistol bullet. I use them in a 7-30 waters and they are very accurate. I think they make one in 30 cal also. If not I wouldn't hesitate to use a sierra or rem 125 grain for a little less kick. You certainly could count on the sst and ballistic tip 150's to open up at the slower speeds too.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote