Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What to use to neutralize primers?
 Login/Join

posted
A couple years ago I did a little experiment with Federal, Winchester, & CCI primers (all large pistol) & tried to deactivate them with WD-40, Hoppes #9, water, & Ed's Red (mix of automatic transmission fluid, K1-Kerosene, & mineral spirits). After soaking in these substances for times ranging between several minutes & several hours, every single primer popped when smacked with a hammer.
I think burying them is a fine idea.
--JJK

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a small quanity of misc. primers that I want to dispose of safely. Anybody know for sure what will kill the priming compound? I know WD-40 will NOT do it. These are all decapped from pulled rounds and I have plenty of known good ones to save 75 cents.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a little bottle filled halfway with oil. When I have a primer that needs to be done away with I just put it in there. I have always assumed that submerging a primer in oil for any length of time would neutralize it.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I usually do is pull the bullet and powder, then take the primed case into the garage and shoot them off. It's different if you've pulled the primer as well. I had always thought a drop of oil on them would neutralize the primer. Maybe I was wrong. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
I personally have had really good luck neutralizing primers with a FIRING PIN.

Zero

There is one in every crowd!

Posts: 26 | Location: Florida | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dig a hole and bury 'em.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you run your experament with some different solvents, like Acitone, Laqure thinner, toluene and other commonly available (hardware store) solvents? One of those might have a better chance of cutting through the pellet sealer (it's the sealer that's stopping the products you tried, although they would probably work on the bare compound itself) and possably disolving the priming coupound it's self.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
might be slightly off topic, but I can tell you what not to with them. Don't spill a bunch, like about 50 or 60 in shag carpet and not pic them all up cause they were to hard to find.

Well.......my wife (ex wife now) found them with the Vaccum cleaner, blew the dang bag of it, she was pissed, but gosh it was funny.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A couple years ago I did a little experiment with Federal, Winchester, & CCI primers (all large pistol) & tried to deactivate them with WD-40, Hoppes #9, water, & Ed's Red (mix of automatic transmission fluid, K1-Kerosene, & mineral spirits). After soaking in these substances for times ranging between several minutes & several hours, every single primer popped when smacked with a hammer.
I think burying them is a fine idea.
--JJK

I've heard this more than once (though never tried it myself).

I'm always amused then when the "other side" claims that merely handling a primer with your bare hands while loading will give you sporadic misfires, from the oil in your skin...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had some primers that got water soaked one time. They sat around and finally dried up. I came across them later one day while I was cleanin' up around the place and tossed them into my burn pile. Don't know how many, but a whole lot of 'em popped.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

my wife (ex wife now) found them with the Vaccum cleaner, blew the dang bag of it, she was pissed, but gosh it was funny.

Dang. Good thing you mentioned leaving primers in the carpet can cause a divorce. My wife has enough to be angry about. Don't need to push her over the edge so I better get to picking mine out of the carpet.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote