New
Find
Notify
Tools

.32 Win. Spl. woes: Help!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok fellars, I need some input. I recently bought a really nice Marlin 336RC in .32 Spl. A co-worker bought it out of our local trader paper and sold it to me a few weeks later. He is a shotgun man and didn't fire the Marlin although it came with a box of Federal ammo with 4 rounds fired from it. Anyway, the gun is a '58 or '59 vintage and looks like its seen very little use, a strong 95% condition inside and out. I put a Wever K3 on it the other day and carried it to work yesterday to zero it on the indoor range. I ran the target out to 25 yards, fired a round and brought the target back to see the prettiest bullet PROFILE you ever saw! Stunned, I ran it back out, fired another shot with the same results. This is more than a slight keyhole, they are tumbling right out of the barrel. Now I'm well aware of the .32 Spl.'s reputation for not being able to hit a flock of barns with a shot out barrel but the bore {micro-groove} on this thing is pristine. I took it into the shop and closely examined it with the bore light. There are no visible imperfections and the crown is fine. I could see the barrel being worn if the gun looked like it had been drug down the road but it's in excellent shape with just a little hunting wear. I took a factory load and stuck the bullet into the muzzle. There was no contact until the case mouth touched the crown. It looked like the bore was either oversized or the bullets were undersized, although I realize the bullet tapers from the cannelure forward. My co-worker who sold me the gun was equally puzzled. He said "I never shot it but I guess that's why the guy sold it in the first place." I was hoping he'd offer to buy it back but no such luck and I know he didn't intentionally stick it to me.
I have owned a Winchester 94 .32 Spl. for years and it shoots fine with all factory loads, as have other 94's in this caliber that I have "known". I have never heard of any variance in bore or bullet diameter with this cartridge but something freaky is happening with this Marlin. I have never felt the need to handload for my 94 so don't have .32 dies on hand. I do have some Hornady component bullets on hand from a .32/40 that I once owned {and will soon replace}.When I went back to work today I shot a Winchester Power Point, of which I had some of. Same results. When I got home tonight, I took a Hornady bullet and stuck it nose first into the muzzle. It stopped just shy of the cannelure for a much tighter fit. I then pulled a bullet from the Federal factory load and compared the 2 bullets with a micrometer. The Hornady bullet tapers less in front of the cannelure and has slightly more bearing surface. I will have to aquire some dies to see if that bearing surface makes any difference but do you guys think that is the issue? I'm at a loss as to what else it could be. A .32 Spl. should shoot .32 Spl. ammo. This one sprays them. I can only assume the guy Tom bought it from shot 4 rounds out of it and sold it when he saw the results. It has some hunting wear on it so somebody at some point got it to shoot well enough to hunt with it. I can only assume the Micro-Groove rifling needs more bearing surface but haven't been able to fire the Hornady bullet yet to see if it makes a difference. Anybody ever run into this or know of anything else that could cause this? Any input is appreciated. If handloads make no difference I guess I have a $300 paperweight because I couldn't in good conscious sell it to some other poor bast*rd knowing it is worthless. Thanx.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd check the bore to see if it was bored out to another chambering.... My 338/06 has a 270 bore, that was bored out to the 338 bore.. but it is still stamped 270....So if anyone would shoot 270 ammo thru it, it would keyhole all over the place also....( I know from 270 to 338 should be real noticable...but I have seen someone bore a 32 Special to 338 once... because they wanted a 33 Winchester... and I guess that was the cheap way to "sort of" get one.. I am sure it would throw 32 bore bullets all over the place also...

Of course I also have a 30/30 Winchester that my family bought new in 1966 so I know this rifles history... it throws bullet all over the place also....

however, with handloaded bullets with the velocity dropped to about 1800 fps or so.. it tightens up dramatically....or long 220 grainers handloaded and jacked up to 2100 fps, it shoots those real well also.....

So if you want to avoid the jacked up velocity load route... try the lower velocity route....

This I accomplished two ways....

One was like 18 or so grains of SR 4759 and a 170 grain bullet.. it shoots a real respectable group for a 30/30 with that load...

The other one I went with was real slow powder for a 30.30... Like 35 grains of H 4350, IMR 4350, H 4831SC and IMR 4831... velocity was still in the 1800 fps range, but the groups are darn respectable....

Factory loads it either keyholes them or will give you a real nice 8 to 12 inch group at 50 yds..... Not a big deal if you are trying to get on the paper when the target is the size of a barn....

Good luck with her! Sounds like a Nice Rifle...

Course you can moan and get a 38/55 barrel put on it!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you get a lot of cotton packing, and let one round loose into that padding and take a good look at the fired bullet.

Remember, Micro-Groove has been known to give some problems.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the bullet enters the muzzle there is a problem. You may already have a 38/55, or?.
The best bet is to slug the bore and find out. Does the brass look the same after firing?.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
"I couldn't in good conscious sell it to some other poor bast*rd knowing it is worthless."

I'll take it off you hands. I've been looking for a 336 to make into .38-55. Let me know if you want to pass it along.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the update. I got hold of a set of dies yesterday. When I got home last night I scrubbed the barrel til my arm ached and wore out a bore brush. I gave it a basic cleaning with solvent and then ganged up on it with JB Bore Compound and Blue Wonder. She was a mite dirty based on the first few patches so I thought maybe the micro grooves were just filled in with copper and/or lead. The bore looked like a mirror after I was done although it looked ok before I started. I then loaded up 3 rounds with the Hornady 170 FP. When I got to work today I fired one shot and pulled the target back. A perfect, stabilized shot. Relieved, I fired the next 2 and they nearly touched the first and I was just shooting off hand. I nearly shouted and figured it had been just very badly fouled. I chambered a Federal load and fired; a perfect key-hole again! I shot a Winchester with the exact same results. Soooo, evidently my initial thought was correct. That damn micro-groove evidently needs the extra bearing surface that the Hornady has. Go figure, a factory rifle that will not shoot factory ammunition. I have not tried the Remington load but am not going to worry about it since I know my handloads will work. This has been one for the books! Thanks for the responses guys and I'll update any other developments.