New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nickle plated TZ83 brass 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple hundred nickle plated 223 brass that is headstamped TZ83 and it has 12 or say 18 on it also. Any info on them. I also have a couple 100 223 that the flash holes haven't been punched or drilled yet. It is marked LC89. Probably Lake City 89 brass. Does anybody know about the above mentioned brass?
I will have my first AR soon and thought it would be time to start loading. I don't like nickle brass though.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The TZ headstamp is used by Israeli Military Idustries, IMI.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't like nickle brass though.

Why Butch ? An TZ , TZZ are Israeli .No flash holes for primers in the LC89 batch ? Where did you pick those up Butch ?.

Generally LC would be Lake City Armory head stamp ,but NOT ALWAYS .

About Ammunition Headstamp Code: LC

Internal ID Code: 470
Ammunition Country of Origin

Hungary

About the Ammunition Manufacturer

Måtravidèki Fèmmüvek, H-3332 Sirok, Hungary, for: Armscorp USA Inc., Baltimore, MD

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
Red Cornelison, first member of the BR Hall of Fame, was the consummate wildcat and reloader guy. He had close friends in the industry. When Red passed away I bought his brass, powder, bullets, dies, walnut blanks, and a couple of receivers from Bonnie his wife. Three 3/4 ton pickup loads. It took over a year to see what I had and put it up. I have a couple hundred of the LC89 brass with no flash holes in 223. I have another 100 like that with .100" longer necks. I have some in 222 without flash holes. I have some 30-30 without headstamp and no flash holes. I have 2 cases of Remington 6mmBR without flash holes. Back in the day the serious guys were playing with flash hole size. I also had 1 case of Federal rimfire LR primed brass with no bullets or powder. Red was necking them down and doing the 17HMR and 17HMR2 back in the late 60s. I sold the brass, but still have some of the rounds. The TZ nickle brass was part of the load.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch for the explanation ; I was unaware one could even order brass without flash holes ,I've seen many altered but none without .

Is that something which can still be done ,do you know ?. Also do you know of any specific advantages of larger or smaller flash holes ?.

For the longest time I had guys who wanted my Lapua 7.62X39 cases , for Wildcatting I believe 6mmBR but not positive .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7.62X39 has large primer and is similar to the 6mmpc. I have a deer rifle that is 270X39 improved. Basically a 270PPC. We use the 220 Russian to form the 6PPC as it has small primers and a small flash hole. Other than the 6BR brass I don't believe the ones without flash holes were readily available. I believe Red got them because of his buddies in the industry. I should have taken a photo of the 40X right bolt, left port single shot action that he gave me to deliver to another shooter. Said it was one of 2 that Mike Walker had built at Remington and he gave Red one of them.
Not too much of that kind of thing going anymore.
.062 flash holes work best on the small cartridges.
Butch