New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Boss
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I started reloading some reduced loads for my .416 Rigby with AA5744 and Trail Boss.I had read about problems with Trail Boss , but didn’t realize it’s totally different than any other powder I have used.
I didn’t realize the composition of the Trail Boss is snowflake/Cheerios and fluffy like. While the AA5744 loaded up perfect, the Trail Boss was frustrating. I went to Lee dippers with the Trail Boss. I had problems even charging the cases. The TB powder even gets hung up in the funnel. Unless there are some simple fixes , the Trail Boss will be my last. Does anyone have any other information or recommendations using Trail Boss? I am trying to load about 30 grains in the .416 and every part of the process is time consuming and annoying.

Posts: 737 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
4WD,
I use Trail Boss a fair amount, but do not really know how to answer your question. I use a caliber specific funnel from Satern. Charges are dumped from a Harrels measure, into the funnel and I've never had much problem other than an occasional bridging of the powder. I do like 5744 better but that is based on the accuracy of my reduced loads, not do to any particular problem with the Trail Boss.
John

Posts: 798 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GD64
Thanks for your reply. What cartridges are you reloading Trail Boss in and how big of charges?
4WD

Posts: 737 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
recommendation:
find another powder.
there's only like 60 others that will work just fine, only cheaper and with lower pressure.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I’m running 30.0 grains of TB behind a 350 grain cast Bullet in my 416 and not experiencing an6 of the problems you are having. Also run it in some 458 WM loads.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
recommendation:
find another powder.
there's only like 60 others that will work just fine, only cheaper and with lower pressure.

Lamar,
No big deal Lamar, just trying to burn up $150 worth of powder that many others have had success with. Glad you are able to comment with such knowledgeable information!
4WD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
I’m running 30.0 grains of TB behind a 350 grain cast Bullet in my 416 and not experiencing an6 of the problems you are having. Also run it in some 458 WM loads.

Thanks MS ,
Played around some more with TB today. I filled up a Rigby case full to the neck of TB to weigh the charge. When I went to empty the powder out of the case into the scale a fair amount of the TB remained inside the case and had to be tapped out numerous times and a fair amount of the spheres still remained and stuck inside the case walls. Been reloading for many years, never used a powder with these characteristics. I do understand TB was made as a pistol powder. This is a new batch of powder recently purchased from Powder Valley. Probably will just call Hodgdon. Not a big deal since the AA5744 works well for the reduced loads in the Rigby.
4WD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using A5744 for practice rounds in my .404j. Meters well and fits in the cases properly. Using WLRM primers with cast bullets. I am very happy with these loads.

Posts: 874 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like static wipe your funnel down with a dryer sheet

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Sounds like static wipe your funnel down with a dryer sheet

Z:
That could be part of the problem however the TB is remaining in the cases too when you empty the case with powder in it. Spoke with Hodgdon and they stated the problem I am having is common with TB. Hodgdon gave me a simple formula for using TB for large capacity cases and reduced loads. I am going to give it a go and see what type of accuracy I get.