THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    There are two types of people who use chronographs....
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There are two types of people who use chronographs....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Those who have shot their screens etc and those who will in the future!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<csj>
posted
Bill, I sure hope you are wrong on this one???

CJ

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot mine yet, although I knocked it down once with the muzzle blast from a 7mm Mag. Besides my reloading stuff, it's an item I couldn't do without!!

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I knew the formula to correct for the bullet slowing down when it hits the front screen.

H.C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<csj>
posted
I am not sure about the exact formula but the Oehler software will calculate it for you.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Do sun shades count as a hit or a miss???

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
i am on no 3.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put me in the "I've done it" catagory.

I put a 416 Rigby round thru the top of both sensors on my CED. Fortunately the computer part sits back on my table and except for not holding the screens as well,
the sensors continued to work.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've beaned mine with a .22 rimfire (no real damage), and dad has shot all but one of my sunshade rods.

Turok

------------------
--------------------------------------------------

Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
It used to be that the best results occurred the closer one could scoot the bullets across the eyes of the cells. That, happily, was a long time ago. Now, I aim well-above the cells and get fine results.

Um, Oehler does indeed rebuild their Skyscreens at reasonable cost. They appear to have some experience in doing so....

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I have marked the diffuser supports of my Pact with red electrical tape @ 3" and 5" above the sky screens. This is the recommended distance above the sky screens. When I set up a target behind the chrono, I verify that the target is about mid-way between these marks @ the low power setting of a variable scope. Hopefully this will prove you wrong DB Bill.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ken Howell>
posted
There's no inevitability that you'll shoot your screens if you set 'em up right first. Two neat tricks apparently aren't as obvious to everybody as they ought to be. (The second has to do with muzzle blast's effects on your data.)

1. Shoot first, then set-up your chronograph.The bullet travels quite a distance while it's still a good bit below the line of sight, from the muzzle to sometimes a surprising distance where it crosses the line of sight. Forget or ignore this, try to skin the bullet close over the screens, and you're going to hit one or both.
Scopes with high mounts required by big tubes or big objective bells sit pretty high -- a tad over 2.15 inches on my new varmint rifle. Any bullet zipping out of that muzzle is still two inches or so below the line of sight at typical chronograph-screen distance. So the smart thing for me to do is to establish the line of FLIGHT relative to the line of SIGHT, add some clearance margin, and THEN set-up my screens.
Determine first where your trajectory is, at screen distance from the muzzle. THEN set-up your screens accordingly, and you'll vastly reduce the odds of accidentally shooting a screen.

2. Place a blast baffle between your muzzle and your first screen, to deflect and block the muzzle blast -- especially if your muzzle velocity is below about 1,200 ft/sec. At subsonic velocities, the blast can trigger the first screen before the [slower] bullet gets there. Make a baffle simply by cutting a hole or vertical slit (just big enough to aim through and shoot through) in a large square of heavy plywood, and prop that baffle about halfway between your muzzle and your screen. Your data will suddenly become more reliable.Bullets at comfortably supersonic velocities trigger the screens before the blast gets there. But heavy blasts from big cartridges can move your screens around, change their spacing, or knock 'em over -- so the blast baffle is a good idea with a big supersonic magnum too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have hit more screens at 3 meters than at 93 meters. I think one is more careful when the screens are way downrange. As long as you find most of the pieces, quickset epoxy will get them up and running in no time. I am so glad I sprung for Oehlers - in the long run screens are cheaper than replacing the whole machine.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

Administrator
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

We buy extra sky screens by the DOZEN

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67041 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Usually don't have a problem with this untill the .223 comes out. The 12X Leupold does not see the little rods, got to be real carefull.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Have e friend thats killed 2. Says they jumped in front of the bullet both times, commited sucide.

<sure-shot>
posted
And never loan your chrono out!

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Two points: Watch out for sabots when shooting through screens. Once had a sabot from a 20 ga. hit the sensor housing when shooting 6" above the sensor at 10 feet. That was enough to break the plastic housing's feet where the screws attach it to the mounting beam.

Also, NEVER let strangers shoot through your screens at the range. I saw this happen to a guy once and learned from HIS mistake. "Oops, sorry" was all he got!

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
When I set up, I always pull the bolt out and look through the bore, left of the barrel, right of the barrel to be sure. So far I haven't hit it. MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started this post when I read the one about the guy and his kid and the blasted chrony.....I'm in the 2nd category and I hope I go a long, long time...hopefully the comments made here can help others delay their fate indefinitely. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't put a bullet through one yet (knock on wood) but as the previous poster said "never lend your chronograph out". I've had one come back with shot up screens twice now. you think I would learn. Oh well. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
The first time I used my chrono I was testing some .45 Super ammo. When they called it super, they weren't kidding. With the first shot I nailed one of the wires that hold the skyscreens in place. Knocked the whole mess over, tripod and all. I learned from that episode and haven't blasted the chrono since then. Don't shoot that load much either.

ZM

<MC>
posted
Been there done that !!

Nailed my bench side screen once with a 7x57 taped up the hole and continued the string.

Dito on lending out the machine, did it one time won't do it again, blew one screen to shrads and put a bullet hole in the other. Even if I am with a friend it is use at your own risk, you hit it you bought it.

I do have spares so a fatal shot won't kill an outing.

mc

<stans>
posted
I shot my skyscreens once and I have seen a chronograph get shot. They die just like actors in a movie. The bullet hits and they fall backwards with their eyes closed.

<gruvinbass>
posted
Rule number one: the guy that owns the chronograph shoots through it.

<Scott H>
posted
I have blown mine to bits a couple of times. I still use the Smith-Victor light stands which aren't too compatible with Montana prairie breezes.

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Well Bill I'm on number 3 in 12 years the good thing is I keep moving up to a better one each time I make a kill on one I have a Pact pc2 now one more step to go and I will be at the top

<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
I buy the cheapest "Chrony",I won't say how many.One trick I did,was to buy cotton swabs,the long ones I use them as rods.If you hit them,it's no big deal,and it won't harm the Chrony.I also put magic marker on the rods,and make sure I don't ever aim below that mark.Since I have been doing that,I haven't purchased a Chrony in almost a year.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<reloaderman>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaMarine:
When I set up, I always pull the bolt out and look through the bore, left of the barrel, right of the barrel to be sure. So far I haven't hit it. MM

I do the same thing........but still manage to hit the rods?????

<bearmanmt>
posted
DB Bill,
Yes, it is possible to shoot up your chronograph .
My first Chrony went when I was shooting a long string from my CZ 550 mag in .416 Rigby.
I had just gotten a bunch of 410gr Woodleigh Weldcores and was working up loads. I had fired about 30 rounds off hand and was a little shaky. Well.......
I fired a round dead thru the little Chrony. It was an older model that had the paper windows and one had to shoot thru the little hole.
My NEW one now has the metal rods in a big "V" and I can shoot anywhere in this area with good results.
Dr. Howell is right. I have nicked my new one while chronographing my .22/6mm. It has a large dia scope and it gives an illusion thru the scope that the bullet will clear. Follow his instructions and keep your bullet out of the chronograph.
Thanks for the fun topic.

The Bearman

one of us
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about the .416 Rigby, at least with the 400 gr Hornady RN, is that when one destroys a Chrony with it, the bullet is not significantly deflected, so the fifty-cent bullet and quarter's-worth of powder haven't really been wasted.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<noabitaboutalot>
posted
I'm in the "done that" category, but it was not fatal, just bent the rod. Put that 223 shot out of the group, though (off the paper at 100 yds)....

I try to put the upper baffle in the top of my scope field, and am real careful in how I line everything up now.

Bill

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Does it count when your friends muzzle break blows off his .378 wby and hits the chrony.
If it doesn't count then I haven' hit one yet!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Chrony for 2 years and never hit it, yet. I find that if I set the scope to it's lowest power, I can see the rods which makes positioning much easier. I shoot everything from my arrows to my 338 through it.

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
Been there shot mine, including with a bow.
Fixed it one day and shot the wire in two the next.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Ken Howell discribes 1): line of sight and line of flight are two different things.

After learning this the hard way, I now push a rod in the bore to which I attached one of these cheap laser pointers: setting up the chronograph is very easy and safe using the laser beam.

I hope I'll not forget the rod in the bore one day.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Waitaminit, you be VERY sure to take that rod out. We lost a bench rest shooter last season due to a cleaning rod left in the barrel. Be careful! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, when I attach the laser to the barrel, I may have legal problems in this country. I will add a 5" cardboard disk to the rod which blocks the sight and, in case, reminds me that I have forgotten something.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Damaged a Chrony Alpha and an Oehler 35 P in the same day!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I now ( after reading all this ) consider myself a savvy shooter:

I never hit the FRONT screen!!

But I now take special care in looking for that second screen, too :-)

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote