New
Find
Notify
Tools

.35 Whelen loads in 16" barrels
 Login/Join

<J�rgen>
posted
I ordered a new barrel in .35 whelen Imp.
Who has experience with a pistol in that
caliber ?
What will be the best powders to start with ? What about the terminal behaviour of
the bullets ?Any HELP will be greatly
appreciated , thanks J�rgen

<Mark C. Kimmell>
posted
I have a 15" T/C Encore in the standard 35 Whelen. I load a Hornady 250gr. with 49.0grs. of IMR 3031 with Fed. Gold Match large rifle primer and Rem case. I chronograped it at 2100 fps. and I am getting 5-shots in one ragged hole at 50yds. with a Leopold 2x scope of the bench. I shot a cow elk with it 3yrs. ago at 80yds. and she went down like a freight train hit her. Recoil is rather brisk and if you shoot off a concrete shooting bench to develope and sight in put padding underneath your elbow. Also put two bandages on your trigger finger because the torque will cause a blood blister where the edge of the frame connects to your finger during recoil. I hope this helps Mark.

<MFH>
posted
I have a 15"Encore barrel with muzzle tamer also in standard 35 Whelen. My hunting load has been:
Caution: !!LOAD ABOVE LISTED MAXIMUM!!
56.0 H-4895, CCI std primer, rem case and 225gr ballistic tip. Velocity 2400fps and accuracy about 1.75" @200yds.

My barrel has a lot of free-bore and has shown no pressure problems. Nosler recommended the BT over the partition for elk as it will expand at lower velocity but will not break up as in the smaller calibers.
MFH