Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone here used Nosler 2nds brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Has anyone here used Nosler 2nds brass from Shooters Pro Shop?
What have you found wrong with it to make it a 2ond?

http://www.shootersproshop.com...6&t=270<br>Win

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Not sure what "2nd" means but if once-fired I wouldn't have a problem trying some. Usually a second means a ding or something else cosmetic rather than a defect.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First..you might want to edit your post to read nosler and not hornady and maybe even get "2nds" right.
I've bought Nosler 2nds brass. Couldn't really see anything wrong with it. It didn't have any significant dings or cosmetic flaws. It is supposedly NOT weight sorted like their firsts.
Sometimes it's a heavier, thicker brass for caliber and you may have to reduce loads.
Overall a decent product but not sure I want to go out of my way to buy more.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Kraky, I didn't notice my errors thank you for pointing them out for me to correct.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I bought some 280 brass. It was OK. Weighing them out the range was a touch wider than their other but as good or better than most other brands I have bought

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I bought some 280 brass. It was OK. Weighing them uot the range was a touch wider than their other but as good or better than most other brands I have bought

Me too, couldn't find anything wrong w/ them?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've found Nosler seconds in bullets and brass to be very good. In fact, I doubt most people could even tell them from firsts.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What exactly are brass case seconds ?.

Why didn't they live up to acceptable cases ?. Bullets I get and have used yea blemishes so what .

Cases ? , I'd like to know what exactly makes them seconds ?. Can't be cosmetics for if it is

Winchester has been selling seconds FOREVER !!!.

Some of the crappiest cases I've ever purchased were Winchester .

Brand New necks case walls were dented , some of them nearly half way in !. Granted 8-10 years back .

Lapua Norma RWS Remington's . Even Federals were preferable to my lousy batch of Winchesters .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Yea, what makes the cases seconds is cosmetic blemishes and they're not weight sorted.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased 150 Nosler .204 Ruger seconds in 2008 and weighed each one of them. The spread in weight from lightest to heaviest was 1.66 grains. I don't have access to my Excel spreadsheet right now, but I seem to remember that if I dropped the five or six lightest and five or six heaviest casings, the ES was somewhere in the 1.25 to 1.30 grain range.

I also purchased 100 Nosler .204 Ruger first quality casings. The spread in weight from lightest to heaviest was under 1.00 grains.

I haven't had a chance to reload and shoot either the seconds or the firsts, but I don't think I'll notice a lot of difference in accuracy for the kind of shooting I do--mostly prairie dogs and coyotes. The seconds were a lot less expensive than the top of the line casings.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote